Faulty Dayton WT3...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've found the WT3 to be almost useless...
I can only assume mine is a faulty piece of rubbish...
when it works, it works fine... that seems to be about 10% of the time...

Hi ThyDntWntMusic,

As others have said in this thread, problems with the WT3 are 99% of the time a PC/OS issue, not a faulty WT3 tester.

The WT3 tester is a great tool when its working properly and here’s my findings to have it working without issues:

1. First of all, always plug in your WT3 tester in the USB port before starting the WT3 software. Give the PC a couple of seconds to recognize the device before starting the software.
2. In the Control Panel\Hardware and Sound settings (win7) check the following settings for your WT3 device (USB Audio Codec):

a. Playback\Properties\Level. Set the volume to 100
b. Playback\Properties\Enhancements. The Enhancements properties should read “Status: Disabled”.
c. Playback\Properties\Advanced. Default Format: 16 bit, 44100Hz (CD Quality). Exclusive Mode: Both check boxes marked.
d. Recording\Properties\Level. Set the volume to 1
e. Recording \Properties\Advanced. Default Format: 2-channel 16 bit, 44100Hz (CD Quality). Exclusive Mode: Both check boxes marked.
f. Sounds. Sound Scheme: No Sounds.

3. Give the WT3 tester a 2min warm-up before doing any measurements or calibration.
4. Connect the calibration resistor and do an “Impedance Calibration” (It’s not needed to do this every time you start the WT3 tester, but if you think your calibration is corrupt or if you have “Restored the Default Calibration” it’s necessary to redo it.
5. Do a “Test Leads Calibration”. It should be in the range of 0.26-0.30 Ohm. The “Test Leads Calibration” can be done every time you use the WT3 tester.
6. Make a test “Impedance Sweep” with the calibration resistor connected. You should now get a smooth measurement.

My general recommendations are:
1. Buy a better precision “calibration resistor”. Mine is in the range of +/- 0.1%
2. If having strange readings, try to “Restore the Default Calibration” and then redo the calibration.
3. Always use the same USB port every time you use the WT3 tester. Use a USB port that’s not shared with anything else. If you have problems, try switching USB port until you find a stable one and redo the above calibration.
4. Try the WT3 tester in a different PC/LapTop

I’m sure you have done most of the things above and you might actually have a faulty unit, but perhaps there are other readers of this thread that found it useful in their problem solving.

Personally I’ve had very little issues with my WT3 tester, but it can occasionally occur. Then I follow the above instructions.

Regards

/Göran

I have no idea what that is :)

the only other application running was firefox, and maybe skype? but, from memory, the quieter/louder thing used to happen on my other computer too...

Hi,

You should close all running applications before using WT3 tester. You should also if you still have issues disable the network/wireless interface of your computer and disable any antivirus programs.

You should also check so you don't have a "power scheme" that might put your USB interface into "sleep mode".

There is a lot of stuff you can check and disable in the OS and applications in order to run your OS as clean as possible when using the WT3 tester.

You should also run the WT3 application as an "Administrator" if you have the UAC (User Account Control) activated.

Regards

/Göran

Hi,

You should close all running applications before using WT3 tester. You should also if you still have issues disable the network/wireless interface of your computer and disable any antivirus programs.

You should also check so you don't have a "power scheme" that might put your USB interface into "sleep mode".

There is a lot of stuff you can check and disable in the OS and applications in order to run your OS as clean as possible when using the WT3 tester.

You should also run the WT3 application as an "Administrator" if you have the UAC (User Account Control) activated.

Regards

/Göran

WOW! so many 'you shoud's'!

With my WT2, I didn't have any of these concerns running it with my Win 7 64 bit systems.

BTW, news for those WT3 owners who don't know, it is NOT an upgrade of the WT2. They are two different products developed by two entirely separate businesses. I took a poll over at PETT a year or so back and roughly 3/4 of the respondents mistakenly thought their WT3 was an updgrade of the WT2.

WOW! so many 'you shoud's'!

With my WT2, I didn't have any of these concerns running it with my Win 7 64 bit systems.

BTW, news for those WT3 owners who don't know, it is NOT an upgrade of the WT2. They are two different products developed by two entirely separate businesses. I took a poll over at PETT a year or so back and roughly 3/4 of the respondents mistakenly thought their WT3 was an updgrade of the WT2.

Yes, normally this isn't necessary, but since he's having issues with the device it "should" be his primary focus to rule out any PC/software/OS/application issues before considering the WT3 tester a faulty device. ;)

I think the majority of us WT3 owners are happy with the device and have no problems at all.

I'm sure the WT2 device is equally good or better than the WT3, but if you are having software issues in your PC, I'm convinced that you could also run into issues with the WT2 tester as well.

Perhaps the WT3 tester has a larger customer base and that's why "issues" are more noticed or the customer target group are less computer skilled or the WT2 software are better developed... I don't know. :eek:

Regards

/Göran

My use of the word "should" is perhaps not properly used here and it might sound too hard and demanding. I really don't know since English isn't my native language and sometimes it’s not the easiest to get the proper nuance in the language.

Sorry! :)

/Göran

I think 'you should' is very fair. If you had used 'you MUST', that would have been a bit over the top - as they say.

Please, please don't apologize. I commend all those non-US based posters who contribute to the DIY forum. I certainly could not do the same in any other foreign language forum and encourage others who visit regularly to contribute at any level!
I love this forum becuse of its international community. Just made another contribution today (at Fanatic level) to the forum.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I bought a WT3 early on and was still clinging to Windoze 2000. Never had a single problem with the WT3 - until I bought a new computer with XP (about the time Vista came out). Under XP, it can get funky, as XP sometimes won't switch to the WT3 as its default play and record device. This does seem a common problem.

I don't have any more trouble under Win7 Starter (a netbook) than XP, but it's a simple setup. Under Win7 Pro I've had nothing but trouble. Gave up :mad:

I think 'you should' is very fair. If you had used 'you MUST', that would have been a bit over the top - as they say.

Please, please don't apologize. I commend all those non-US based posters who contribute to the DIY forum. I certainly could not do the same in any other foreign language forum!
I love this forum becuse of its international community. Just made another contribution today (at Fanatic level) to the forum.

Thank you!

Yes, I also like the "International" touch of this Forum. :D

/Göran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.