Dremel Trio ... sufficient tool?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok the Makita should arrive tomorrow, it has some good references the only downside is and it a big one it can use only 6mm bits,... and most of them are 8mm, it has no rpm set up, so its I guess similar with to the Bosh Colt, I hope to be able to do the small boxes with it...

Patience and time. Congratulations! You have what some people call the King of Tools. Now go watch those Youtube videos on how to use it properly without burning your wood or making it look rough on a single pass.

More importantly, get something for your eyes, ears, and nose. Then afterwards, show us what you have made.

ok I got the small Makita, and one bit,
first of all, really dont try to do the work at home, I gave it a try in the kitchen, and I never imagined so much dust from so small work...
Never the less I had a way to my father in law so I have done the most at his garden.
The tool performes well, the power is quite limited and the selection of 6mm bits is terrible, but I managed to do most of the work.
I just have one issue I dont know how to solve, I have to cut small cycles for the tweeter, for example a diameter of 5cm, 2 inches, how do I do that with the router, most the router has some equipment, but with the providet exuipment I cant make circles smaller than aprox 12cm...
Any solutions?
I will soon share some pictures :)

Imagios,

Did your router come with a fixture ( a small round disk with a protuding tube in which a router bit fits, sticking out) to cut from a template? If so, the method for small holes is to make a precise template from a piece of MDF. With some craft, it is not that difficult to jigsaw and sandpaper a pretty perfectly round circle in MDF.

Ah... the dust. I think that I mentioned that earlier, but no matter -- a vacuum attached will do wonders (if it is possible).

Here is something I am still trying to find the time to make -- a Router Trammel. There are professional ones that you can buy, but it always looked simple enough to make this.

Router Trammel ? DIY How-to from Make: Projects

You can get the professional/mass-produced circle cutting jigs and they are easy to use (just make sure they can go down to 2 inches).

You might want to check this guy out. He makes speaker boxes for cars and he has some good ideas.

Using a Router to Cut Perfect Circles, part 1 - YouTube

He has a few videos (5 or 6) on cutting circles out of MDF.

So far I have been making small holes (4 inches I think is the smallest I have made) just by plunging the router down into the material and having a template and a plunge trim router bit. But at 2 inches, you might be best off using a drill and a hole cutting bit for the drill.

Don't be too discouraged by the selection of bits, you probably have enough of the important ones to do the job of speaker cutting and building. You might have a hard time finding all the profile bits for making things like picture frames with fancy profiles, but have enough to cut holes, joinery, and make straight line cuts.

I disagree on the second-hand router thing. I bought my well-used 1/4" B&D Pro (Elu) from a pawn shop for $35; all I did was make sure that the bearings were OK and that it ran, and that the rack & pinion depth adjustment adjusted. No problems at all. Recently I picked up a similar model (but orange) at a garage sale for $40, nearly unused (complete with carrying case and accessories).

Routers make a lot of dust, but they are the only power tool you need for speaker building. Other than a driver drill.

I disagree on the second-hand router thing . . .
I have mixed feelings on this. As a hobbyist, the only power tool I have legitimately "worn out" (i.e., without damaging it from accident or abuse) were my first two routers - mid-grade models from Sears, late 1970's/early 80's. Based on that experience I'd be reluctant to put any money into a used tool regardless of how tight and smooth the bearings seem to be.

On the other hand - I have a Black & Decker professional router, circa late 1980's, that I got when a cabinet shop went out of business. The model number might be "444". I'm VERY pleased with that investment in a second-hand tool.

(It was pretty dirty and caked with contact cement, and the cord had been chewed up by a router bit or saw blade. But the bearings seemed tight and I couldn't hear or feel brush drag. As I recall I got it for $10 or $15 in the mid 1990's - I think the damaged power cord scared off the other bidders. I have replaced the cord and power switch (twice), and the brushes, but I'm still using the tool quite regularly almost 20 years later. It's not as tight as my Porter-Cable 690 as far as collet runout and holding settings, but a heavy cut that makes the PC say "I'm gonna die!" is no problem for the B&D - it says, "Gimme more of that!".

Much of the time I use whichever machine is most convenient. When I'm making a jig or pattern where I want to hold dimensional tolerances to 0.010" or better I use the PC, at least for the finish cut. If I want to make a lot of sawdust in a hurry, like a speaker cutout in a single pass, I grab the B&D.)

I'd have to think about that "only tool you need" statement. Certainly the most versatile tool, and probably the tool I'd put the greatest time and money into. I can't imagine doing speakers without a circular saw. An inexpensive one will do, if you you're willing to make final cuts with the router, but a good one will save a lot of time. And yes, the driver drill.

Dale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.