Analog Discovery by Digilent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone ever tried this? A 14 bit/100 MSPS AD/DA module (built upon ADI stuff) which works as a 5MHz - 0.5 mV/div digital oscilloscope, arbitrary waveform generator, bode plotter, true RMS voltmeter and so on. I've tried the application in demo mode and it loks fine and quite usable - at 199$ (or about 160 euros) it seems well worth a try.

Attachments

• AD.PNG
    AD.PNG
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,051
  • ADSPec.PNG
    ADSPec.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,005
Hi Ulli,

I've one too and use it with this impedance analyzer that work great !
You don't need any external hardware to use it, only a resistor in my case.
They is 3 series resistors to be used by the analyzer to improve signal/noise,
and to switch from one resistor to another you just need to take the right digital I/O
to switch some relays or analog switch.
Anyway, even with only a single resistor i made very useful measurements !

Frex

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am using mine a lot as a network analyzer to check open loop as well as closed loop response, magnitude and phase. It is a great tool to check phase- and gain margin for stability. It shows for instance that 10dB hump at 1MHz that causes all the hf noise ;-)

It also doubles as an extra signal generator and a couple of DVMs which you always have not enough of.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Ulli,

I've one too and use it with this impedance analyzer that work great !
You don't need any external hardware to use it, only a resistor in my case.
They is 3 series resistors to be used by the analyzer to improve signal/noise,
and to switch from one resistor to another you just need to take the right digital I/O
to switch some relays or analog switch.
Anyway, even with only a single resistor i made very useful measurements !

Frex

Frex can you give some details?

Jan

Jan, must say that I like your taste in test equipment :)

The tech support on this is also very nice - they wrote a little script to use this as a mosfet curve tracer. It will populate an excel with Vgs and the volt drop across the drain resistor. So for big power fets, you just add an external lab supply to the Fet and get a nice Vgs vs Id curve for matching. https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/3556-scripting-example-for-mosfet-vgs-id-matching/

If you're in school (& struggling!) you can get a nice discount on an already attractively priced tool by filling up some forms...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's a new version of the Analog Discovery out. Lower cross-talk, provision of external power supply...

Yes I have the new version now. Haven't played enough with it yet but it prompted me to talk to the Bode100 people that they should introduce a 'bench' version of their software. The Bode100 basically has two test functions, gain/phase and complex impedance, but in each case the hardware setup is rather rigid. That is a contrast with the AD module (another is the price of course, about 26dB ;-).

It is the old battle between serving the production user who wants a quick and painless setup and immediate results, and the design user who wants the flexibility to configure the equipment for his/her specific test needs.

We saw a similar evolution with Audio Precision. The early S1 and S2 units were pure designer units software wise. You literally had to set all the generator, analyzer, I/O etc parameters for a test (although you could script it). But that requires intimite knowledge about the equipment, which is an unnecessary burden on a production line. The early units in the APx series had software organised as a specific test, and when you selected a test like THD vs level, the software automagically set up the hardware for it. Quick and painless. But the designers protested that they lost flexibility. So it went full circle, they now have software that can be used in two modes: 'Test' mode and 'Bench' mode. And so it goes.

Jan

Hello,

Just some pictures of my small test fixture to use the Analog Discovery as Impedance Analyzer with the cool software of TheStuffMade.
It's only connectors and one resistor..Difficult to do simpler than that !

The software use 3 different resistors value that are switched to improve SNR level (control by software interface).
(Resistors values is 34, 500 and 5k Ohms).
His hardware allow auto switch of resistors by using the digital outputs, analog switch, and also an amplifier for the lowest level.

Unfortunately, this great designer doesn't answer message on his own site and there is no news to get his PCB.
Too bad, i would enjoy to bought one.
Anyway, it can be used as is and work very great. You can calibrate it (using open, short-circuit and know resistor)
to get very accurate results even at some MHz. (I use it to calibrate eddy current sensors).

Frex

AnalogDiscovery.jpg

AD%20004.jpg

This breakout card made life much easier. It's not fully populated but the idea was to bring everything out to standard header pins and the inputs and outputs to BNC's with the inputs fully differential. Everything is standard digikey stuff. I have PCBExpress layout if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• anadis.jpg
    anadis.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 470
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This breakout card made life much easier. It's not fully populated but the idea was to bring everything out to standard header pins and the inputs and outputs to BNC's with the inputs fully differential. Everything is standard digikey stuff. I have PCBExpress layout if anyone is interested.

Scott does it have more flexibility than the standard Digilent breakout box?

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.