Surface Mount Desoldering and Resoldering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried searching for instructions, tools and any types of products to use and think it would be a good idea to put instructions with links to products that aid in removal and installation of smd's without destroying the pads or traces.
I was kind of surprised of the cool stuff out there to help remove these devices. Found a lot on YouTube.

Chip Quik® Surface Mount Desoldering Kit

Soldering SMD fine pitch component Pace Inc.(8a) Hot Air Mini Wave Soldering - YouTube

Cool stuff. Also found a product that is a paste with solder mixed in that's injected from a syringe across the legs to be soldered then with a small heat gun it hardens the paste then it all turns to solder. I think its called solderpaste, Beautiful.

I have an ATTEN 850B Rework station that was about $100 and then purchased a Black Jack BK3000LF for lead free stuff.

Never knew about solderpaste though!

Attachments

• 100_4304.jpg
    100_4304.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_4303.JPG
    100_4303.JPG
    961.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
In a production environment, a stencil is placed over the PCB that aligns with the pads on the board. Then solder paste is "squeegeed" onto the stencil so the paste is deposited onto the pads. Or it could be done with a syringed robot arm applying dots of paste where required.
My position is that technique is as important as tool in preventing PCB damage. A hot air station (with adapters), tweezer iron, and fine-tipped iron should suffice for virtually all diy work. BGA notwithstanding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.