Can you recommend a tube tester?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maxi pre tester is fine. on the used front a mercury 1000 is a good tester and easy to calibrte. its a deal becuase the guts are famous brand but it gets little attention in a mercury case. last made in mid 70's so it supports a verywide portfolio of tubes. tube data is up on the net.

i would opt for a I177 tvd7/u if your in the USA it tests quite alot of the old tubes. and is not nearly as junky as some of the other stuff. its also on the cheap end of the scale and gives pretty comparable measurements

Check your tube stash if their TV tubes dont bother you wont recoup your investment . except if some ultra rare sweep tubes ofc..

v4lve

In this day, I’d imagine that most of the tube testers in the US spend 99%+ of their time unused. I consider audio a hobby, and only a hobby. Should you just happen to be located anywhere near south central PA, you would be welcome to bring your tubes, and use my recently recalibrated TV-7 to checkout your “stash”. If it’s geographically impractical, perhaps, there are others that would extend the same offer.

I'm going to agree with speakerfritz and battradio on the Mercury 1000 and Eico 666/667. I own them both and like them. The TV7's are way over priced for what they do and have become a cult item. Full printed manuals with data are available from "glendalemanuals" on eBay at low cost.

The Eico 666 is still a bargain, but you have to be careful with the manuals - the early ones are full of errors...

The only downside to the Eico is that it tends to give different readings every time (!)

I also have an avo MKII and have taken the time to restore and fully calibrate it - but I still use a DMM to accurately set the negative grid volts. It gives accurate results if you do this.

Some testers like the avo can be used to create crude plate curves. That is the main reason I have it.

If it is just to test if tubes are OK the the Eico 666 should really be fine.

Lastly - Never buy a tester where the mains plug has been cut off.

Ian

Ian

Thank you, All, for your guiding advice; you have given me some great ideas and suggestions. Fortunately I have time on my side and I don't have to make any rush decisions. Best wishes and (given ArtG's suggestion) if any of you are located in Minnesota US and would like to loan time, tester, or just expertise, don't hesitate to send me a private message.

I ams using a Mercury 2000 tester. It uses one tube and the results are quick. It has one downside, it does not individually test either of the two sides of a dual triode such as a 12AX7. It is a true bargain coz I had mine for something like US$250 including the case and the manual, in a fully working status.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.