Recommend good accurate digital multimeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I did a search on this forum looking for DMM that would suit my needs, but haven't been lucky. I need an accurate meter that can measure capacitance up to at least 1000 microF (although higher would be better) in addition to inductance, voltage, and resistance. I always hear about Fluke, but there are so many models. I would appreciate if you can provide an exact make and model (links to the sellar would be helpful). Thank you.

I'd recommend getting a good DMM for accurate Volt/Ohm/Amp measurement, and a separate inexpensive LCR for inductance/capacitance measurement. Adding L/C measurement to a good DMM makes it just that much more expensive and really limits your options, but the cheap LCR may be good enough for your use (usually spec'd to within a few % at 100 Hz or so).

Ever go to a restaurant and ten things on the menu look great, and you just can;t decide? You'd enjoy any one of them. The point is that none of the ten would be wrong.

Fluke may make a lot of meters, but yoiu may find ten models - or more - that would work great for you. And none of them would be wrong.

Just my opinion here, but I;d draw up a chart. Features you must have, features you'd like, and then check the models that have those things. You can find meters with 0.0001% accuracy, but do you REALLY need that? 6-digit readouts? Is 0.1% not good enough for you? Often the difference between a $200 meter and a $400 meter is just that.

Mouser sells Fluke, as do many other parts houses. Heck Sears even sells some Fluke models.

Low end meters often throw in a lot of functions because they can at almost no additional cost, to msaker it more attractive to buyers. Cap meter, freq meter, temperatuer meter, transistor hfe meter. Not sure how utile they all are. But I almost never have a need for freq measurements - maybe you do - other than to check speed on turntables or tape decks. I have a counter anyway, so I would never spend extra money for that feature. Just because someone heaps features on a meter doesn't mean you should pay extra for them.

Meters measure caps at very low voltages, and while they may read the capacitance, they will tell you nothing about leakage. My old Heathkit cap tester tells me a lot more about a cap than my hand meter. Especially in tube amps, you need to know that a filter cap is OK at 400v, not just at 2 volts. SO I agree with the above person who suggested getting a good DMM and leave the cap and inductor testing to something else.

Sencore used to make a cap/inductor analyzer, forget the model number, they made a whole series of them. They would measure capacitance, ESR, leakage, and could do it at up to 500v. And I used to buy inductors that came in 2mH, 3mH, 4mH, etc, and when I needed a 2.7mH coil for a crossover, I could connect it to the Sencore and unwind it until I got down to 2.7mH. Find and old used one of those.

What do you want to spend?

I'd get a nice DMM with frequency response up to 20kHz or so, then use Speaker Workshop for measuring components.
I use an old Fluke 8050A which cost me ~$75
Interesting that a Cheap harbor Freight $3 meter reads very close on low frequency signals and resistances ;)

Last edited:
I don't want to spend more than $150.

I've had great and reliable success with a low end Fluke and a cheap L/C meter. Tried Radio shack meters for my general meter, but they failed after a few month of use. The Fluke on the other hand just keeps ticking. As an aside I purchase a used HP digital voltmeter for less than $100, 6-1/2 digit accuracy, weighs 40 lbs, but, works needs to be stationary.

Almost necro-posting but anyways, I STRONGLY recommend the Uni-T UT61E.
The specs:

• Auto-Ranging (and pretty dang fast at it too)
  • TrueRMS
  • 22,000 Count (not 6,000 count like my 116)
  • 0.1% DC voltage accuracy (across the whole range)
  • 0.8%(45-1kHz) or 1.2%(1kHz-10kHz) AC Voltage accuracy
  • 0.5% Resistance accuracy
  • 3.0% Capacitance accuracy
  • 0.01% frequency accuracy (10Hz-220Mhz)
  • Continuity test is pretty much instantaneous.
This meter will cost you around $50 shipped and is by far the best value for the price. The thing is SOLID, when I say solid I mean better than the Fluke 116 I use in my chemistry lab. Though truthfully, that 116 is kind of disappointing both inside and out. I was looking for a decent meter as a hobbyist and I came across this meter when browsing EEVBlog forums. In general the reviews were that it was well built and seemed OK. I decided to get it. Since then, ppl have discovered how good of a value this meter is.

For example I decided to put this meter through its paces using some 0.1% resistors and some caps I had laying around. Link

The resistors consistently showed an error of around 0.25-0.3% low, meaning that this meter could theoretically be adjusted to a much tighter accuracy.

The downsides are that sometimes the probes have a layer of film on them that messes with readings. Supposedly, some isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) removes the film.

Hi, I did a search on this forum looking for DMM that would suit my needs, but haven't been lucky. I need an accurate meter that can measure capacitance up to at least 1000 microF (although higher would be better) in addition to inductance, voltage, and resistance. I always hear about Fluke, but there are so many models. I would appreciate if you can provide an exact make and model (links to the sellar would be helpful). Thank you.

I have bought this for caps and inductors because it has special circuitry to measure low and high range caps and inductors. I think its oscillator reaches 800KHz or more.

LC200A Inductance Inductor Capacitance Capacitor L/C Multimeter Meter Tester | eBay

I purchased a used HP 3478A, on eBay, although it is old, it functions nicely for a 5-1/2 digit DMM. Flule 8050A is also nice if you need lower resolution.
The Uni-T UT61E sounds okay as well but it is not that accurate. Depends on your needs

regards
Rick

For a handheld its pretty accurate. It compares favorably with most fluke hand-helds (excluding the 87V and 287 types)and it has already been well tested on its ability to meet its specs and stay within spec (for over a year which is what most manufacturers limit their calibration range to). While the Uni-T isn't quite as good as those two mentioned meters, it matches the resolution of the Fluke. True the fluke, if calibrated, gets down to 0.03% accuracy but find a calibrated one for as cheap as the Uni-T which comes from the factory in spec.

For one that matches the Fluke specs in your price range check out the Mastech MS8218. It has a huge variation in prices I have seen as cheap as $120 and as expensive as $270, all for the same device.

It's 0.03% accuracy, 50,000 count, TrueRMS etc.

Get a DMM that's auto ranging and with a big read out so when you have your hands in a high voltage circuit, you can read it without fireworks. I'd recommend a seperate cap/inductor meter because they don't get used that much. The cheap Radio Shack meters work great and last about 5 to 10 yrs. There will be times when you need 2 meters and these work nicely. I've had good luck... I'm sure not everyone will agree.........

I found this site to be helpful in narrowing the Fluke line, they have a nice table with features compared across the line:

Fluke Digital Multimeters - Test Equipment Depot

I have no affiliation with this site. I have ordered a few things from them over the years, each time delivery seems to take longer than expected, but sometimes they have the best prices and they are responsive and polite if emailed etc. I have a Fluke 115 and am very happy with it FWIW.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.