Direct competitor for Clio V10 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Hi Dave, I know you are a Mac user, unfortunately I am not. The latest portable computer like my 13.3" Acer has not expansion slots. Also, how long before Firewire is finished, period. There was a time when Audiomatica resisted when you had to run older Windows with Clio 6. I emailed them about it and was told old computers were cheap, so buy one. I replied that I did not have the 'real estate' to add another computer on my designated desk. Got no reply to that one. But eventually they did, they HAD to.

So I have to play a waiting game... and the hole in Clio 10 box can take a new sub-board and where the Firewire was is enough space to have a USB2.0 (or 3.0) poking through. Then make driver available and voila!

Or maybe even better, they could add an external small adaptor, that might do the trick, then do the drivers to work - it can be done. OK, so you have charge to something, they could even make a bit of money.

Cheers, Joe

Last edited:
I have yet to see any PC Laptops that are built to the same quality level as the MacBooks... likely one of the reasons they keep winning the "PC Mags" best of awards.

One pays for quality. And most don't factor longevity into the equation.

dave

Hi Dave

I am thinking something like this would work - Firewire and whatever the adaptor thing that Apple calls it and Window emulation?

Apple Macbook Core 2 DUO Mountain Lion OSX 10 8 Wifi BT Webcam Laptop Special | eBay

Your thoughts - has others done this with Clio FW-01 Firewire box.

Cheers, Joe

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can run Windows directly on the hardware (Boot Camp) which is how Clio uses their MacBook (i contacted them when i saw their ad with a MacBook running Clio). Some MacBooks should work fine, i'd like to see a Model number (if the date they give in the eBay advert is correct it will be MacBook6,1) -- it does not have FireWire (it was very short-lived due to that), so would NOT work.

dave

PS: did you get my reply(s) to your amp inquiry?

I bought my Clio system v. 4 (with the ISA-card) in the nineties. I have upgraded to software and currently I am on Clio v.7 . It has worked fine until now but my old desktop computer is still running Windows 98 and I can't upgrade to Windows 7 or Vista.

I was thinking about upgrading to the new Clio v. 10 system to be used with a new laptop computer. I quickly realized that I can't find a new laptop computer on the market today that supports Firewire. All new laptops today have USB 2 or USB 3 connections only. Also PCMCIA or Xpress card slots aren't available anymore. I have written to Audiomatica several times to see if they plan to release an USB version of Clio and for advise on how to mate Clio v. 10 with a computer with USB connections only, but I never got an answer.

Finally I came across a product from ARS Technologies that connects an external ISA card to an USB 2 port. See ARS Technologies Inc.

Has anyone tried to use this product or another solution for a Clio ISA card and if so how does it work?

Last edited:
I have yet to see any PC Laptops that are built to the same quality level as the MacBooks..
dave

Hi Dave

Need your help.

I am now VERY seriously wanting to by a MacBook, but scared I might buy the wrong thing. They are readily available on eBay down here.

I need a portable laptop to run ClioFW/Windows/Firewire standard connector (old?)

But now realise that Thunderbolt and Firewire 800 not having the same socket/plug - and will adapters work etc.? It's bit scary.

It seems that the Pro version of the MackBook is preferable as it has a Bootmanager of some sort, that makes it easy to install Windows in addition to Mac OS.

But... need standard IEEE 1394 Firewire port to feel confident to buy, and now know that Firewire uses more than one type of plug.

The 13" would be nice, but would accept 15" as well, as long as I find the value.

So what models should I bee looking for? And avoiding.

So hope you can help me out and not a mistake.

Cheers, Joe

PS Edit: So what I have is Firewire 400? Does the Firewire 800 to 400 adaptor only pass through wires? In that case it should be OK?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am now VERY seriously wanting to by a MacBook, but scared I might buy the wrong thing.

Any MacBook Pro will do the job. Converting Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 is just getting a cable with 800 at one end & 400 at the other end. The newest MacBooks have Thunderbolt ports, an adaptor to Firewire is available from Apple and no one has had compatibility issues with it. Note: those latest MacBookPro also DO NOT have optical drives built-in.

MacBooks are older andsome did not come with Firewire (those you want to avoid)

Long-term one of the newer Aluminum body MacBook Pro is what i'd look for.

Thunderbolt is a superset of Firewire/Display Port/USB/PCIe.

dave

Firewire PCMCIA Express IEEE 1394

I need a portable laptop to run ClioFW/Windows/Firewire standard connector (old?)

But... need standard IEEE 1394 Firewire port to feel confident to buy, and now know that Firewire uses more than one type of plug.

Cheers, Joe

Hello Joe,

I have use these Adapter cards for Years for portable measurement with analyzers for some other things an they works flawlessly under W7 x64 (my case) on three different 17'' Lenovo notebooks and are fare better than orig. inst. on motherboard, they use Ti Chip, none inst. necessary, only plug it into a slot, (hot swap) and it works in a second.

- The most import. thing for fire-wire connection to function is:
DEINSTALL ALL MS garbage & Junk soft from the comp, close all services not needed and add a 1394a process to highest priority !!!

Min 2.core Proc, min 4, best 8GB RAM :)

If You Must use the comp for other things also frequently than make at least 2 user accounts and let it be the second - (MEASUREMENT) ONLY !! Please apply here all previously mentioned steps, and make You or ( Measurement) account - a full Admin. priority and use ur Meas. Syst. under full advanced (user - admin) properties ALWAYS (run as as administrator) and You'll work like charm !

If You want to work and not jocking than:

Don't buy a fancy look crap Acer or many other fancy super ultra light crap mini laptops !
Instead go to some local computer guru who each 2.yrs. replace the HiQ - engineered Lenovo WorkHorse Laptops in some fancy bankers or some other bureaucracy firms with the latest top models and get one 2.yrs. used
for a cheapo and You'll never look back or even regret !
For the money saved this way please make ur dearest some nice & tasteful dinners in some nice place You know they're do an You'll win win..... :)

Please see here You can order the best adapter 1394 Cards:

1. Firewire PCMCIA Express IEEE 1394

or for older laptops:

2. PCMCIA PC CardBus to FireWire IEEE 1394

Hope You'll begin work sooner before You become a $$ Golden Retriever

cheers:

Andreas:

Any MacBook Pro will do the job. Converting Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 is just getting a cable with 800 at one end & 400 at the other end. The newest MacBooks have Thunderbolt ports, an adaptor to Firewire is available from Apple and no one has had compatibility issues
Thunderbolt is a superset of Firewire/Display Port/USB/PCIe.
dave
Thanks Dave. That is exactly what I needed to know. I feel a lot more confident now. Yes, I noticed the missing optical drive too. But have an nice compact external one that I use with my Acer 13" laptop.

Thanks again... Cheers, Joe

PS: Found what looks like a Russian website re Clio on Macs, hit the translate button, and that seems to confirm exactly what you said in their somewhat broken English... good one. :)

- The most import. thing for fire-wire connection to function is:
DEINSTALL ALL MS garbage & Junk soft from the comp, close all services not needed and add a 1394a process to highest priority !!!

Min 2.core Proc, min 4, best 8GB RAM :)

If You Must use the comp for other things also frequently than make at least 2 user accounts and let it be the second - (MEASUREMENT) ONLY !! Please apply here all previously mentioned steps, and make You or ( Measurement) account - a full Admin. priority and use ur Meas. Syst. under full advanced (user - admin) properties ALWAYS (run as as administrator) and You'll work like charm !

Hi Andreas

Some great info there, much appreciated. Some of it will be used even though I went the MacBook Pro way and will do a dual install. Dave is a Mac guy and it will please him I went the Mac way. :)

But that way I will have a laptop that can do all the things I need to do with it.

But the Windows setup, I will do a special Clio only user account and priority exactly the way you say. That is very good advice.

Had anybody tried Windows 8 with Clio FW?

Yes, Win 7/64bit will work, but if Win8 does too, then I would prefer it. I also have an unsealed version of Win8, but don't want to break the seal, as I can exchange it for Win7/64bit.

But thanks for your detailed reply and appreciated.

Cheers, Joe

Clio-11 now !

The last post is over a year old.
Does anyone use the new Clio11-FW ?
What happened to the issues with Firewire. Will a new buyer be buying into outdated technology ( Firewire !) ?
Any idea if they are planning to make it USB2/3 compatible in any new version ?
Thanks,
Cheers.

No, it doesn't seem so. I checked with them recently and they don't have any plans for USB-3. They claim difficulties with USB such as latency etc. With the outdated Firewire I think their product is now way overpriced (almost $2000). I have used my Clio 7 ISA-version until recently and rather than buying Clio 11 I decided to go with a good external USB-based sound card (like EMU 02/04) + Arta software (freeware) which is a low cost solution and a much better tool than Clio. I can now easily use my laptop for audio analysis using up to 32/196 sampling rate if I want.

Last edited:
Hi Dave

If one wants to use Clio, they should perhaps think of using a Mac running Windows (as Clio shows in their adverts)

Which is what I am doing. But with my desktop I have had intermittent problems with Firewire port, once it failed completely for both desktop and laptop and had to sent back to Audiomatica and including freight etc it was an expensive repair. Based on my experiences I have no great faith in Firewire, it still has intermittent issues and the Clio software just won't see it and I get the same error as if the ClioFW is not connected, have to disconnect, reboot - and sometimes many times during a prolonged session and you loose the settings you are using at that very moment - it can be very frustrating. Mind you, USB can be flaky as well - but maybe not to the same degree?

Having said the above, I will still continue to use Clio, but I just don't fully trust Firewire as reliable and I think they should make USB a viable option and also able to be used with any computer out there.

Cheers, Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.