Direct competitor for Clio V10 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Praxis Liberty Instruments, Inc. Home Page A lot of pros look down on it because of its humble roots but the only real competitor in sophistication is Listen (who tried to buy it at one time). I find Clio very limiting and clumsy. others find Praxis daunting with all of its options. You can easily make probes that will handle 1 KV if you need. I use it for almost everything from Jitter measurements, to THD of ultra low distortion oscillators to frequency response and waterfalls of Bluetooth headphones.

Thanks. I have the older offering from Liberty Instruments. Laud. Hardly got to use it as I got the Clio v4.52 soon after.
I want to change to something that worked external to the PC or laptop so that it wouldn't be tied to the platform like the old Clio card (EISA).

But I'm seriously considering the use of ARTA ( I have the registered version) with a USB sound card like the E-MU 0204. I will use my Transit till I decide what to do. This will also mean that I need to build an external adapter to buffer the signal or risk damaging the sound card if it's overloaded. Pete M has one design that looks good. I damaged my Juli@ card because it was not protected !

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Praxis is well suited to use with almost any external audio interface. However it doesn't work well with Win 7 32 and not at all with Win 7 64. With XP its really good.

I need to get up to speed with Arta and the other current equivalents. They are not as capable perhaps but could be a convenient and cheaper alternative.

Hi Joe,
They seem to have cables on Ebay. USB to Firewire . However I saw some comments on the Net saying that you can't just use a 'cable' like this.
Maybe signal levels need to be doctored etc.?
I'm checking too as my laptop doesn't have a Firewire and I was looking at the Clio10-FW also !;)
Note that you need a Firewire 1394a ( 400 Mhz ) connection . 1394b ( 800Mhz) uses a different socket !

Last edited:
Hi Joe,
They seem to have cables on Ebay. USB to Firewire . However I saw some comments on the Net saying that you can't just use a 'cable' like this.
... and I was looking at the Clio10-FW also !;)

That's why I said "fully functioning" adaptor. It seems that these adaptors are mainly for video cameras with Firewire outputs and people need to get their video files of their cameras. But that makes me think that they don't give you that "fully functioning" Firewire port that Clio-FW needs - there is two-way communication required and not just a one-way files download.

Surely Audiomatica/Clio knows that Firewire is on the way out. If you are looking at buying and now having second thoughts, that augurs no good for their business.

Anyway, I have sent them an email:

Re Clio FW Serial Number 2147100740

I have bought a 13" laptop computer that is very compact and great for
portability. I just love it, but...

The problem I have is that it does not have a Firewire port and there is
only USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports.

I have seen that there are USB to Firewire adaptors available, but I thought
I should ask you first and whether you have any suggestions.

Firewire ports are on the way out, with faster USB now available, IEEE-1394
is being abandoned.

Hope you can help me. I suspect I am not the only one looking for such a
solution.

Joe Rasmussen

Custom Analogue Audio / Duntech & Orpheus Loudspeakers

I'll let you know what they say.

Cheers, Joe R.

Hi Joe,
That's exactly the problem. I'm also worried about getting stuck with a defunct system like my old EISA Clio4.0 card. I still have an old computer working with that and a standby computer also. But that second one might not work if required due to long disuse ! Almost nothing on it is available easily as a spare. If they are , the prices are sky high !

They could leave the FW port as it is, if they had a simple solution to connect it to a USB2/3 port.

No word from Clio yet...

Wouldn't it be nice of something like this did the trick:

TRIXES Firewire 1394 6 Pin Female to USB Male Adaptor PC Laptop Accessories | eBay

That means the current cable I have just plugs into the Clio (where it already is) and the other part is compatible with the adaptor into which it is plugged, and the adaptor is in turn plugged into a USB 2.0 (or 3.0 available too) port.

I wonder...?

Joe, maybe you should give Clio people the url for this adapter and have them look at it. They might even buy it and test it as it is so cheap.
It doesn't work for video because the data isn't transferred on Firewire like on USB. I'm not an expert on that but maybe just plain data might work but needs an OK from Clio people.

While I like some feature sets CLIO has and the ease to calibrate the system to absolute value I'd share some of my experience on the stability of CLIO FW

I have the Clio 10 FW setup at work, but the FW interface is an issue even without the USB->FW conversion.

I have tested on 2 different desktop PC-s with on board FW controller, 2 different PCI interface FW controllers, a few laptops and PCMCIA/PCcard FW controllers. Depending on card and operating system the success ratio varies. But in general at least for me it has been the experience that you need to try at least 2..3 different FW controllers before you get one that creates almost stable setup for CLIO FW.

One "trick" that CLIO does not document is same as some soundcard manufacturers suggest - to use "Legacy" FW driver
Support - Frequently Asked Questions | Echo Digital Audio

This has helped me to get things more stable on most systems.

What I have to mention also is that I run not only short chirps or MLS, but also need to run sine signal and spectrum for longer periods - and thats where I have most problems. Quite often output starts chopping due to data buffering or such and ruins the test. Only fix is to unplug/replug CLIO and restart software.

Ergo

Joe, maybe you should give Clio people the url for this adapter and have them look at it.. needs an OK from Clio people.

Still no reply from them. But I can't make them do it. Maybe I can get one sent to them? That way they may be more cooperative?

I sent a message via eBay to the supplier http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIXES-Firewire-1394-6-Pin-Female-to-USB-Male-Adaptor-PC-Laptop-Accessories-/390499692058?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 and got the following answer a minute ago:

morning,

yes this item will work fine to convert the usb port.

What do you think?

My question to them was:

Does this turn a USB 2.0 port (or USB 3.0 port) into a fully functioning IEEE 1394 port on my PC notebook. It seems the only way to connect an expensive 'Finewire' audio analyser to my portable computer (PC and definitely not Apple). Awaiting your answer, Rgds Joe

I have ordered and paid for it (PayPal). Not expensive to try myself and it will be quicker.

Cheers, Joe

Last edited:
Joe, it looks like Ergo didn't use a USB to Firewire converter. The laptop one was a PCMCIA Firewire adapter and the desktop was a PCI Firewire card. So no USB to Firewire conversion there.

The reply to you from eBay doesn't sound convincing at all. However you are right. Since it is cheap , buying it and trying it is faster than getting a conclusive response from anyone.

This issue of operation with different Firewire sockets is worrisome !:eek:

Right - I have not tried USB to FW solutions. Issues with all the dedicated FW interfaces has created me enough grief so I have not felt so adventurous.

Search for professional studio soundcard firewire problems / solutions does indicate some that people have had more luck with. Generally TI chipsets are better regarded, but I have not found any on PCI or PCcard interfaces - only motherboard embedded on some few brands.

Most add on's use VIA chipsets (at least ones I get in Estonia). With those I have partial luck, but I have at least one desktop PC where I've tried few different and got none working stable enough. And as typical that's one of the PC's I would like to use it on.

So I'm afraid also that only way is trial and error and with some luck it will be not so long process. Just be aware that if there are isses with clicks / cracks or CLIO software failing to see the hardware then it's probably the FW interface as the cause. At least from my experience.

One aspect I wish that would be working on CLIO FW is that it could allow other software to use it as ASIO soundcard. It does list it as ASIO soundcard under other audio softwares, but sadly it does not work. Would be so nice to be able to use it with ARTA for example. I'd use CLIO software to set input gain and then something else for some measurements....

This is a troubling situation if there is a problem with different Firewire implementations. Clio V10 seems to be selling well so we should have been hearing more complaints ? Or are they posted on other forums ?

Clio is well designed I think as it's easy to use and produces repeatable accuracy. Hope this Firewire issue is resolved soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.