Direct competitor for Clio V10 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joe,

It isn't Firewire that is an issue (it has been dead solid for the near 15 years i've been using it, and it is the default for pro I/O boxes), it is much more likely Windows. They should really port it to OS X and you wouldn't have a 3rd rate OS in the mix.

dave

Hahaha, I love your passion for Macs. As you know another diehard here as well. But I have been very unhappy with Apple on the transition issue. Nothing new here with Apple, they never been gentle when it comes to changing to a new hardware. I used FW from the day one and been very happy with it (minus a first generation hardware)

FW on Mac is solid. Thunderbolt is a great new technology with an awesome future. Simply converting from it to FW is not a problem at all. But big trouble and difference between the two is that FW had some 30W and Thunderbolt just a few watts in output capability, I believe it is 7W.

That renders some of FW hardware useless or possible to use only with external power supply or through powered repeaters. In my case almost rendered my $ 50K Phase One photo digital back useless when used with Mac Book Pro through FW, which is almost exclusive use when shooting on location. When they released new MB Pros, there were no adapters. Than six months later they released adapters just to discover it still does not work. After some time to learn, solution was to have battery in the digital back, what previously was not required with FW.

For many audio and photo professionals and early adopters that was disaster. It took too long to have an adapter released and than to learn about the change. So if you are converting from Thunderbolt to FW or USB 2 or 3, make sure your hardware is self powered and not through the Thunderbolt. That is the source of 99% of problems with hardware used in such a manner.

On another note, here are some really great new products from Corning that might be interesting for some that need to have hardware on a great distance from computer. A converters from Thunderbolt to fibre optic with almost unlimited length:

Review: Corning's Thunderbolt Optical Cable
Thunderbolt™ - Optical Cables by Corning

They make the the same for USB 3 as well:
USB 3.Optical™ - Optical Cables by Corning

So did anyone get to see the Clio Pocket ? Audiomatica don't have the product on their home page yet.
It should have an auto switched range at the input . I see two sockets in/out on the box. So I guess it is a single channel device. Need to see some specifications !

Thunderbolt isn't just MAC

I have a Thinkpad W540 and it has a thunderbolt connector on it. I also bought it loaded with W7 64bit. If you stop shopping for laptops at best buy and you can get any OS you want preloaded. I would argue the stetement that Apple is the best quality. They have the best industrial design, but they don't hold up to abuse as well as some business class PC's.

I have the older PCI/USB Clio 8.5. I love the software and the capabilites, but I hate that I have to have a desktop to run it.

I too am anticipating the Clio Pocket, but it appears to be severely crippled compared to the full Clio FW 11 and for that matter my old 8.5.

I was looking at the "NEW" (LOL) Linear X LX500 but the designer is a angy old man who hates microsoft and blames them for all of his own shortcomings. They don't support 64 bit at all and their design software hasn't had a new version since the 90's. Quite possibly the worst businessman ever. He doesn't get that he could charge more and people would gladly pay it to have a more modern functional system. Everyone on his own forum is begging him to make updates that they want to pay for and his response is always who would pay for that?

Still no reply from them. But I can't make them do it. Maybe I can get one sent to them? That way they may be more cooperative?

I sent a message via eBay to the supplier TRIXES Firewire 1394 6 Pin Female to USB Male Adaptor PC Laptop Accessories | eBay and got the following answer a minute ago:

morning,

yes this item will work fine to convert the usb port.

What do you think?

My question to them was:

Does this turn a USB 2.0 port (or USB 3.0 port) into a fully functioning IEEE 1394 port on my PC notebook. It seems the only way to connect an expensive 'Finewire' audio analyser to my portable computer (PC and definitely not Apple). Awaiting your answer, Rgds Joe

I have ordered and paid for it (PayPal). Not expensive to try myself and it will be quicker.

Cheers, Joe

No please
dont plug in
You will ruin the hardware.
It is not just like physical jacks connectios diferents.
Everything is different, format of datas, power can be differant,
even cable it self.
Firewire is full duplex and much faster format than classic usb
Rather exchange lap top then go back to the usb...
You have good range of 13in apple laptops and You can have OSX and WIN
even LYN...
cheers

Hahaha, I love your passion for Macs. As you know another diehard here as well. But I have been very unhappy with Apple on the transition issue. Nothing new here with Apple, they never been gentle when it comes to changing to a new hardware. I used FW from the day one and been very happy with it (minus a first generation hardware)

FW on Mac is solid. Thunderbolt is a great new technology with an awesome future. Simply converting from it to FW is not a problem at all. But big trouble and difference between the two is that FW had some 30W and Thunderbolt just a few watts in output capability, I believe it is 7W.

That renders some of FW hardware useless or possible to use only with external power supply or through powered repeaters. In my case almost rendered my $ 50K Phase One photo digital back useless when used with Mac Book Pro through FW, which is almost exclusive use when shooting on location. When they released new MB Pros, there were no adapters. Than six months later they released adapters just to discover it still does not work. After some time to learn, solution was to have battery in the digital back, what previously was not required with FW.

For many audio and photo professionals and early adopters that was disaster. It took too long to have an adapter released and than to learn about the change. So if you are converting from Thunderbolt to FW or USB 2 or 3, make sure your hardware is self powered and not through the Thunderbolt. That is the source of 99% of problems with hardware used in such a manner.

On another note, here are some really great new products from Corning that might be interesting for some that need to have hardware on a great distance from computer. A converters from Thunderbolt to fibre optic with almost unlimited length:

Review: Corning's Thunderbolt Optical Cable
Thunderbolt™ - Optical Cables by Corning

They make the the same for USB 3 as well:
USB 3.Optical™ - Optical Cables by Corning

AR thanks for that information. I am using thunderbolt to FW for the i2S interface and didnt spot some temperature issues, but I will have in mind that for some future devices... Thanks. I am not satisfied with the after motorola macs.I hate - plastic knobs, overheating mostly of the Nvidias, Itunes-controled-everything, nothing really new with huge HD space used, I can continue... BUT almost every WIN laptop based looks old like 10 years used, just after 4-5 months... Except maybe those costs more than MBPs :) And - battery issue. At win laps they are limited to 1 to 1.5 year
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.