Help with Hung Chang 5506 scope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently got one of these. The problem with it is sometimes when i turn it on there is nothing but a bright spot in the midle of the screen that is not affected by the intensity controll. If left in this state for some time or after being trn on a few times it jumps back to normal. Could old electrolytics be the cause of this? Does anybody know where I might find a schematic or a service manual?
Thanx!
Mario.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Have you tried whacking the unit when it does this ? Seriously :D

I have a HC 5510 100Mhz scope and that has occasionally done similar, actually I suspect the trace is off the screen as mine is sometimes "blank" at power up. And the problem with mine is physical but can I find it... it goes for 12 months sometimes before it might do it.

(I've moved this to "Equipment and Tools" as it will also get more exposure here)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Have you had the top off and (carefully as there is high voltage around) had a tap around with an insulated screwdriver handle on all the PCB's just to double check.

If you have a bright spot in the centre of screen that suggests that all scanning has been lost... maybe a supply is dissappearing. There will be at least two and possible four small transistors on heatsinks that are the X and Y amplifier outputs. See if the supply to them is dissappearing. That might be a common link with the intensity not working as if the cathode of the CRT falls in voltage that would brighten the spot. Check those supplies !

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would guess around 150 to 200 volts as the supply to them. These are the deflection output transistors driving the deflection plates in the CRT. Its like a long tailed differential pair with the plates driven from the two collectors As one goes up the other goes down in volts and the spot moves. Supply feeding the stage is usually around that figure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.