Hantek DSO1060 or any alternatives?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't any experience of using hand-held Oscilloscopes though I believe they are useful for field service particularly having battery power.

I guess that the size and weight issue depends on perspective. I remember using Valve Oscilloscopes when a Scope Cart was a very useful accessory because it was only just about physically possible to lift one single handed. So all modern Oscilloscopes look small and light to me. Also I hate small buttons having worked on Mobile Phones so I prefer a larger unit.

It's also difficulty to judge what is best without actually trying a unit out. There are many unwritten performance issues like inter channel cross talk and trigger sensitivity that I have found to be an issue on brand name Oscilloscopes.
Oscilloscopes are also useful for looking at digital waveforms like I2C and I2S buses where memory depth / aquisition time length is very useful.

found one interesting topic about Hantek portable scopes here.
Perhaps, DSO8060 could be a good alternative too, not sure if I need this prebuilt arbitrary waveform generator though...

Hi dtses,

but why do you need very small and portable device for test and repare Amp and CD player ?
I really don't think that a Rigol DS1052 is an huge oscilloscope for a lab bench ;)

Frex

indeed, Rigol looks to be quite portable in comparison to old school scopes.

Well, Rigol could be considered as well as frankly speaking I don't have any reasonable explanations why do I need a small device :) Simply it should be portable to use it at home, perhaps outside as well or any other possible situation where it could be used. Main target is the audio stuff, repairs/ upgrades. Of course, I'm not aiming at some ultra tiny mobile device like DSO203 which is hardly to name a scope at all according to various reviews in the net.

Anyway this would be a 1st scope bearing in mind that I don't know how to use it :rolleyes: Hence I guess no need for 200Mhz, expensive name like Fluke, some features that could be highly regarded only by professionals...

Initially I was aiming at UNI-T UT81B then realised that buying a tool that is not adequately precise, limited by 10 MHz brandwidth and being only one channel device is not a good idea even for a newbie in scopes...

I don't know how crucial the memory limitation is. It just depends on what is being viewed.

The effect of memory depth is:-
1/ To look in detail at a section of an acquired waveform it's useful to change the time base setting to expand the part of the waveform of interest. It's only possible to view the stored samples so with 6k of memory versus 32 k the time base expansion possible is less.

2/ The sample rate will be varied to fit the screen width.
The Owon appears to have 12 horizontal divisions giving 500 samples per division.
The maximum sample rate is 250 Mega Samples / s.
250 Mega Samples / 500 samples = 0.5 micro seconds. So for time bases < 0.5 us / div it will reduce the sample rate so that it acquires a full screen width. This can cause aliasing when something like amplifier instability is being viewed.

Just a word of caution -
My Hantek DSO1060 worked beautifully for about a year - never used it much - probably about 50 hours total..
Then it just started to go wrong - never recognised the power switch (could not turn it off manually) then It failed to turn on reliably, then other keys started to fail.. I did a full reset as specified by the distributor, but this never fixed things - now it is completely dead.
Out of warranty, there seem to be quite a few people who have similar problems, and not much in the way of solutions - Trying to find where to send this for repair..
Its excellent value at £300 if it lived a little longer - But from now on I will be buying 2nd hand scopes from the likes of Tektronic.. I have a Gould DSO and a Phillips bench 'scope which have behaved themselves for 10 years with no trouble, and use Tek 'scopes all the time.. I needed a good portable, and the DSO1060 fitted the requirements and budget - however, I was counting on a few years service from it.

hi,

thanks for precaution, however DSO1060 has already been bought a couple of month ago. I'm pretty happy with it, moreover as it's my 1st scope it looks even too complex for me with huge amount of features :)

as being an owner of same device, could you please clarify pretty obvious question to me. I'm trying to measure +5VDC signal of Salas shunt built for my DAC (though it's a 1st scope, I'm pretty sure what i'm doing and know ho to take the measurements - done some trainings, youtube videos + some documentation :] ) So I have an issue, probably due to the interface I guess. If I set a DC coupling for 5VDC signal I measure I simply cannot "zoom" the noise I get, with Ac coupling it's all fine. Here are two attachments to make it easy to understand:

- the 1st one shows AC coupling on 5VDC signal, scope meter probe set to 10x and probe on the scope is also set to 10x as you can see. I guess it's not correct way of measuring DC signal, it just shows that I can set 100mV per division to see the oscillations.
- 2nd one shows DC coupling with the same signal. The problem here is that I cannot set less than 1V per division to see the oscillations. Actually I can do that and set it to 100mV as with AC coupling, but in this case signal line would be far above the screen of my scope even with trigger set to lowest position (-3.96V on the screen) I would not be able to see it. So my question is how can I “zoom” this DC signal to 100mV and see the oscillations?

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 5VDC.jpg
    5VDC.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 165
Yeah -
This isnt a problem of the 'scope - You can only shift the trace so far before you go off screen if you have a large DC potential and want to look at the small AC superimposed on it.

Use both traces - connect the probes of CH1 and CH2 to the same point, set one to AC couple and one to DC couple, you can now set the AC coupled channel to whatever "zoom" factor you want, and set the DC channel to view the DC level.

You might look for end-of-lease returns from the companies that rent them to industry. Many labs don't buy anymore, they rent for the project term.

I've been shopping too, but not buying yet. I had to sell all my Heathkit bench stuff about 2 years ago to keep my house between software consulting contracts. The scope was never worth a darn anyway.

I've been asking for and getting advice. I started out looking at computer 'scope interfaces. Many people have advised me to consider the mid-size "hybrids". They have a USB port for things like more storage memory, bigger high-def display, remote control, automation, signal stats, FFT spectrum plots, etc., yet these hybrids have their own built-in display and can operate independently. The hand-helds tend to have too many "up-down" buttions but the hybrids still have knobs, which are much preferred for frequency and sensitivity (but buttons perhaps are sometimes more consistent with the computer remote virtual panel). The hybrids are not battery-powered and do require a power cord to a wall outlet, but I prefer that anyway. Yes, you want BNC inputs so you can take high-quality transformer probes. I wish I hadn't sold those... A computer interface with software which allows you to have multiple windows is nice, then you can have an uncluttered screen with the waveform and good cursor control for measurements, yet keep the stats on a seperate monitor.

What my friends call a "hybrid" scope has a full-size panel but is only 2 inches or less in depth.

Remember that the speed of the scope really says how accurate the picture is. If its digital, note the REAL native sampling frequency, not counting "interpolated points" for smoother display.

I'd sure like a built-in seignal generator, not just a calibration signal.

Last edited:
Yeah -
This isnt a problem of the 'scope - You can only shift the trace so far before you go off screen if you have a large DC potential and want to look at the small AC superimposed on it.

Use both traces - connect the probes of CH1 and CH2 to the same point, set one to AC couple and one to DC couple, you can now set the AC coupled channel to whatever "zoom" factor you want, and set the DC channel to view the DC level.

thanks mate!

will try that!
just to confirm, does it mean that 5VDC signal I'm measuring has too low noise to be captured by the Hantek? And is it the right approach to measure DC signal with AC coupling? :confused:

"just to confirm, does it mean that 5VDC signal I'm measuring has too low noise to be captured by the Hantek? And is it the right approach to measure DC signal with AC coupling?"

Think about it! - Lets say you had 50mV of noise, and you want to see that.. You have a display with a vertical resolution of 8 bits, this means that each pixel distance corresponds to about 20mV ! So if you fit your 5V over the display (0V is a line at the bottom of the screen, 5V is a line at the top of the screen) you will see the noise as 2 pixels of variation, or 1/127th of the total display area!

And its not just digital 'scopes - its like trying to look at the roughness on the edge of a steel rule - you need a magnifier.. If your magnifier shows this roughness with an amplitude of say 5cm, you are going to need one hell of a big magnifier to be able to magnify the whole rule!

Which is why combining AC coupling probe with high "magnification" and viewing the the DC level with another probe set for low "magnification" is the only way to do it.. Well, its not the ONLY way to do it - if you have a precise noise free voltage source, and a noise free summer, you could cancel the DC voltages, take a reading of the "cancellation" voltage, and magnify the difference.....

But for practical purposes, think of AC coupling as a way you can magnify the AC component of any signal you are observing - If you need to see the DC level (or if you have a complex signal like DC at say 5V, with low frequency AC with amplitude of 1V, and mixed with this a High frequency at say 50mV) then use one channel to view the smallest signal using AC coupling and high gain, and the other channel with DC coupling to view the DC and higher level superimposed AC signal.

In most cases you dont really need to view DC and AC simultaneously - occasions where this is essential are rare (40 years as an EE and I doubt if I have had to do this more than 100 times)

But if you do need to do it, use both traces! LOL ;-)

I fixed my Hantek 'scope..
Anyone who has a Hantek go dead or misbehave on them may find this useful:
HELP and finding experience about HANTEK DSO1060 - Page 1
I detail a "reset" procedure here, and the fault on my scope was a faulty watch crystal and/or poor soldering of this crystal - real easy to fix.
Hantek support is probably a good reason to think carefully before buying their equipment - but apart from that, they are reasonable - 8 bits is not enough resolution however for the FFT function to be useful for anything much - I believe there are 'scopes with 12 bit resolution for a little more money - I would certainly go for one of these next time.

thanks mate!
And is it the right approach to measure DC signal with AC coupling? :confused:

I dont feel I explained this well - Tried to edit my posting but was not able to..

Forget the concept of "DC" for a moment - There is NO SUCH THING as "pure" "DC".

Every point you probe on any circuit will always have some potential with respect to your ground probe (or "DC") and will always have some "unstable" or "changing" potentials, or "AC"...

If there was only stable steady DC potentials, we would never have invented the oscilloscope - it would have been pointless! Oscilloscopes are only useful for viewing changing voltages, or "AC"

What you want to do view the "DC" state and the "AC" noise can be done with a combination of a volt meter and AC coupled 'scope - The 'scopes role is to view the "AC" or changing voltages -

The usual aproach when debugging something like a voltage regulator, is to view the output with DC coupling to determine that the voltage is in the right ball-park, and that it is not drifting and that it doesnt have any visible nasties like ripple or drift.

Once this has been checked, and the voltage measured with a meter, and the regulator can be seen to be working with different loads etc, THEN one does not need to view the signal with DC coupling anymore..

One then moves to AC coupling so that one can observe smaller signals, and scale these to whatever magnification required - check for noise, check for instability, HF oscillations etc, under the various loading conditions required.

This is one of the normal way scopes are used - repeated every day by numerous EEs and technicians the world over .. Putting an AC coupled 'scope probe on a "DC" line to observe the AC signals on that line.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.