fluke 8800A not working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I actually have three of these, none of which works.

The manual says the Ohms converter board has two batteries on it. Neither of the units I opened have these batteries. One of them has a Rev R main board and the other has a Rev Y main board.

Anyone have experience with these DVMs?

I have had the same problem.
I have two of them. On both of them the range relay chatters all the time and on all ranges:mad:
They are both useless like this and are due back on the bench soon after i get a very dodgy scope fixed and out of the way.
I will watch this thread and see if something comes up.

My old 8800A had the chattering problem and it was two bad power supply filter caps letting gobs of AC into the system. Replacing the caps fixed everything.

RE ohms batteries, I think at some point, Fluke added an isolated supply to run the converter -- I've never seen a manual that shows it, but I'll keep looking.

Mine both indeed have the isolated supply and no batteries.
I will do what the vintage radio guys call a re-cap on the power supply. I did measure the voltages and they looked fine. I suppose i could scope them and find the exact one though.
Cheers for that. Now i know.

Here are the culprits.
Both of my 8800As are now awaiting spares.
I have seen light on both of them with capacitors that don't fit very well just to check that it is indeed worth ordering the parts.

Attachments

• DSCF4667.jpg
    DSCF4667.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 194
Sorry about the necro post but someone may find this information useful.
The Fluke 8810A uses the Ohms board without batteries, and with the isolating transformer. Its service manual has the schematics for this board, which is likely identical to the later 8800A models that have the no-battery board. That manual also has the schematic to the front panel board which is missing from the 8800A service manual (same board both models).
The only substantial remaining difference between these two is the True RMS converter on the 8810A (8800A uses average-responding, RMS-calibrated AC).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.