Velleman portable Oscilloscope (HPS10, 40, 140)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think that it depends what accuracy you want and also what the peak to average ratio or crest factor of the signal. I'm not sure that the Velleman portable Oscilloscopes are capable enough. They look good for viewing high frequency signals.
I guess that a computer sound card and software like ARTA should be able to integrate over a period of time. Though the accuracy will depend on a calibration source.
I have used a Rohde and Schwarz UPL to integrate over a period of time but it wasn't cheap.

Hi sebDIY

i had bought an HPS10 oscilloscope years ago, to use in audio repairs when out of lab (clubs, venues etc) - that my profession. I buy cheap tools for outside work because i always have some destroyed by accidents, some lost or stolen! I cannot afford a Fluke scope meter for example to be stolen. Anyway while it is very useful for tracing signals, it has a low pixel screen that presents everything "digitized" - so even the most clean sinus wave is displayed with visible pixel steps. This means that you can not observe spikes or the beginning of a wave clipping etc. Also the HPS10 has a slow refresh rate in most settings that is annoying when you check alot of things fast.
My solution to this is to use a cheap old laptop with some freeware. That way i have an acceptable resolution in every measurement that i make.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.