Please suggest a used scope that will...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
..allow me to transfer the captured/stored data of the waveform out to a computer where I can conduct spectrum analysis on it. I will be using a 3rd party spectrum analysis tool, unless the scope manufacturer has one already. Don’t care about the medium of transfer (usb, ethernet, memory card, serial, parallel, floppy…whatever as long as I can get the data to the computer)
I am not too worried about the number of channels or bandwidth and sample rate as long as its atleast a few tens of Mhz (say 60Mhz or more).

I do however want to get as much vertical resolution (dynamic range) as possible. I don’t mind using the scope gain and band limiting/filtering the input signal to achieve that.

Ofcourse, all this on a poor man's budget...

Hello,
I believe that most Digital Storage Oscillscopes are optimised for bandwidth so use 8 bit Analog to Digital converters so very limited dymanic range. Sometimes they have a 'high resolution' mode using oversampling with digital filtering (I also presume dithering), not to be entirely trusted.
LeCroy have the HRO range of 12 bit Oscilloscopes with wide bandwidth but definitely not budget.
Some other options are the Picoscope 4262 with 16 bit resolution and probably others.
There are what I like to call FFT boxes from HP and SRS and possibly others. I have used a couple of HP models with 100 kHz bandwidth and 16 bit resolution but they are expensive second hand though some of them must be about 20 years old so a gamble.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.