Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Needs an adapter but may be the best available quad opamp for this application: LME49740 | Audio Operational Amplifier | Audio | Description & parametrics A quick survey turned up nothing else similar.
Okay,

I found it with your link, thanks Demian. I should get the 14 pin dip
and a socket for it. Now sure what board it needs, hmmm.

Is there an advantage with the SOIC vs. 14DIP that I don't know about?

From the link also TI recommends the $1.70 price for the unit. I wonder why
the reviewers are complaining about that price, what do they want? Surplus store
IC pricing? .25 - .99 $ a chip?

Then I'm not sure if Richard is alluding to using the TLC2274 and the MLT04 in
different places. Where to those go in the HP339a?

I just want to make sure I don't put the chops in the wrong places. I am going to sub the 14 pin one on the Main osc board A1, right after (or before the U2 JFET. ) on the schematic is the U2C, U2B, U2A.

On the P/O A4 board:
P/O A4 U5A, U5B, U5c, U3a, U3b, U3C, U6a, U6b, U6c, U6d.
I Think I got that right. Use the same quad opAmp?

Now I'm confusing myself, I'll have to think this through just a bit more.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Demian,

The problem with that kind of adapter is the final width is not .3"

ES

If it is available as a PDIP its not an issue. No need for an adapter. I'll read the whole datasheet next time. Unit price of $4.28 is not bad. Get samples from TI as the first option. DC offset is 100 nV typical so it should just drop in.

I would get one of Viktor's oscillators as a reference so the calibration/nulling process can proceed. Ultra Low Distortion 0 00001 1kHz Sine Generator Assembled and Tested PCB | eBay Its really hard to optimize both a generator and an oscillator at the same time.

LME49740 is available in 14DIP from DigiKey.

-RM

Yes, But since I never admit mistakes, it has never happened to me that I clicked on the wrong item and got the SOIC and needed an adapter and found that really didn't work quite the same either! :)

So the only issue with the PDIP is that it has a much higher bandwidth and the wise will check to be sure it is not oscillating at say 55 MHz.

Yes, But since I never admit mistakes, it has never happened to me that I clicked on the wrong item and got the SOIC and needed an adapter and found that really didn't work quite the same either! :)

So the only issue with the PDIP is that it has a much higher bandwidth and the wise will check to be sure it is not oscillating at say 55 MHz.

Oh yes. Do be careful with this. Hp on some revisions added 100 ohm resistors at the power pins before the bypass caps. With these high bandwidth op amp you night consider using a small OSCON. 6.8uF should do. You may also find it necessary to add a small R or ferrite bead at the output. The stray C can be a problem.

Just about anything has got to better than a 741.

What's a 'mistake'??? Oh I see, you mean inventory.

Last edited:
Famous quote of Dick Cheney at a Senate hearing: 'Yes, mistakes were made, but not by me'. ;)

Jan, are we talking about Cheney's hunting trip where he "shot" his friend?
AND
I guess he friend never learned about "Duck and Cover". When I was a kid
we had these "earthquake" drills in school all the time.

Don't look into the light.

Don't look into the barrel of a gun.

Oh and if your friend turns your way...

...duck and cover!