Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I find the 7000 stuff to be a great value and for the most part incredibly reliable. I have 4 mainframes including 2 7854's that are working fine after 30+ years plus something like 20 plugins. Its actually cheaper to get another from eBay than to attempt to fix them now so I just picked up a few spares. I do need to relube the interlocked switches occasionally.

The 5000 series scopes are an even better deal (read really cheap) and fine for most audio applications.

I find the 7000 stuff to be a great value and for the most part incredibly reliable. I have 4 mainframes including 2 7854's that are working fine after 30+ years plus something like 20 plugins. Its actually cheaper to get another from eBay than to attempt to fix them now so I just picked up a few spares. I do need to relube the interlocked switches occasionally.

The 5000 series scopes are an even better deal (read really cheap) and fine for most audio applications.

Well no wonder you don't have any room on your bench.

Cheers,

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Touche! Guilty as charged. (But the plugins are under the bench and the spares are in storage). Here is a shot after getting Tim's (same as JC) help cleaning up. There are something like 18 7000 plugins visible.

Attachments

• workshop.jpg
    workshop.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 321
Mmm,

Some samplers, a 7L5 and many more :)

I agree that these things are very handy. They are common over here, just not as much as in the us. And much more $$$ if it's a better mainframe or non standard plugins.

What's in the 3 plugin mainframe on the bench, a digitiser?

I've got some of my own; 7623A with 7L5, 7603 with 7A13/7A22/7B53 and a 7704A with generic amps/timebases. Furher a 7623 and 7603 with some plugins as spare. They do need repairs from time to time. Slowly collecting more, but only stuff i can really use.

Touche! Guilty as charged. (But the plugins are under the bench and the spares are in storage). Here is a shot after getting Tim's (same as JC) help cleaning up. There are something like 18 7000 plugins visible.

Nice shop Demian. But still you only have a square foot to work on.
Mine is no better. Always having to shuffle stuff around.
At least you don't have to share the space with a cat box.
I moved upstairs.

Cheers,

Yep--just recently scored my 3rd mainframe, a 7904A with plugins (incl. 7A22 and 7A19), for something like $175. Hard to beat for a >500 MHz instrument...

Samuel

As a curious note, in the day Tek brought a prototype of the 7A13 to us for our stamp of approval. Back then designers were keen on direct comparison for DAC/ADC performance.

Our Tek sales rep got laid off and then got rehired in some kind of arrangement, a great guy and we go back years. I still scream for a real analog scope when he is around.

I must be happy with a vicarious man-cave fetish. :)

I saw some Tek DUAL BEAM scope (dunno the model number) at a hamfest earlier this year. I don't know enough about old Tek scopes to fix these things (despite having a couple of carcases lying around), and the sheer number of toobs scares me, but I know the difference between that and the usual "dual trace" feature that all other analog scopes have. I kinda sorta think I shudda got it, or at least asked the price. I've heard of a Tek yahoo group, but do I want to learn such a skill? I read where Jim Williams fixed/revived/rebuilt these things as a hobby - I wish he had written a book on it.

I can't imagine what a NEW analog oscilloscope would cost.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Mmm,

Some samplers, a 7L5 and many more :)

I agree that these things are very handy. They are common over here, just not as much as in the us. And much more $$$ if it's a better mainframe or non standard plugins.

What's in the 3 plugin mainframe on the bench, a digitiser?

There are 2 7L5's, the one in the cabinet has a tracking generator. The 3 bay box is a Wavetek/Rockland fft thing. It goes to 100 KHz but is only 8 bits. Fine for the output of the distortion analyzer however. It has been very useful. And there is both a TDR and a sampler/timebase (and a handful of plugins for those). This all started when I decided I could not trust what I hear or what the BS merchants of audio passed on. Then I could not trust the meters etc. (The calibration setup is in another part of the shop.) Its a slippery slope. Just get a QA400 and be happy. . .

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I saw some Tek DUAL BEAM scope (dunno the model number) at a hamfest earlier this year. I don't know enough about old Tek scopes to fix these things (despite having a couple of carcases lying around), and the sheer number of toobs scares me, but I know the difference between that and the usual "dual trace" feature that all other analog scopes have. I kinda sorta think I shudda got it, or at least asked the price. I've heard of a Tek yahoo group, but do I want to learn such a skill? I read where Jim Williams fixed/revived/rebuilt these things as a hobby - I wish he had written a book on it.

I can't imagine what a NEW analog oscilloscope would cost.

The 555 and 556 were a tube vendors dream. The 555 had a separate power supply that would put the high end audio variants to shame and weighed a whole lot. You can get more info than you would ever want at the Tek Scopes group at Yahoo.

You may be able to get decent modest analog scopes from China but never again a microchannel CRT with 1 GHz response.

There are 2 7L5's, the one in the cabinet has a tracking generator. The 3 bay box is a Wavetek/Rockland fft thing. It goes to 100 KHz but is only 8 bits. Fine for the output of the distortion analyzer however. It has been very useful. And there is both a TDR and a sampler/timebase (and a handful of plugins for those). This all started when I decided I could not trust what I hear or what the BS merchants of audio passed on. Then I could not trust the meters etc. (The calibration setup is in another part of the shop.) Its a slippery slope. Just get a QA400 and be happy. . .

LOL.

When they have all the bugs worked out.

I ordered an EMU0204 and the parts for a Twin T.

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is a very interesting thread.

I have been in the process of getting some distortion measurement facility established. The QA400 certainly look good. especially if they can keep the $200 target. Then I have to get me one of these. Have you guys any idea of what release date they target?

Cheers,
Mogens

My 7L5 doesn't have the tracking generator unfortunately. There are not many around. An fft analyser is good to have. I've got an acient '84 advantest 100 kHz machine. 12bit, 2channels with differential inputs. It makes the 7000 mainframes look portable :) Also looking for a signal generator for that one..

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The 7L5 w/ tracking generator is quite rare. I modified one of mine to have the interface to the 7854 to capture and save the output. It was a bear to add.

I used the QA400 for real work last week. I needed to characterize a headphone interface to sort out a problem. It worked very well. There are software bugs still but they are closing in on them. I suspect old hardware running old versions of Windows will be the biggest problem. The box is ideally suited to mobile electronics but needs external stuff for traditional audio. I am working on a solution for my needs.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
@Richard -- The EMU drivers work for me in XP SP3; I think there is a driver package that runs in Win7, though Creative may call it a beta. ARTA then runs the EMU from its device setup menu. Like David, I'm beta testing the QA400. The EMU and QA both having rising noise floors (due to noise-shaping used) above 30kHz, so their dynamic range goes away fast. BTW, I have an HP 239 which is very similar, and it is equally good. But if you're going to be driving low-Z loads, then the LT1468 seems to be the real deal.

I have an EMu 0204/USb but yesterday my screen went dead on my old portable XP. Same PC I went to Taiwan with it in tow on so many trips. It finally died. I also needed it for Audio-Precision interface card (PCMCIA). Now its dead. Guess, I'll just wait for everyone to get the bugs out of the QA400. Its about time someone did a hard/soft combined and integrated test/measurement version at low cost.

I'm OK with the 339A oscillator for the time being as a low Harmonic source of mulitple freq... I can test some things with it as a signal source. Some might like it for the improved analyzer section as well.... Both source and analyzer are much improved now. And for super low thd, a spot frequency from Victors' gen is ready to be lashed up to a power supply. But still looking. Maybe the companion gen to the ShibaSoku 725 will pop-up at a bargin price.... Well, I live in hope. Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited: