Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Ok... Thx SG. Thats what I am looking for -- practical app info. Not trade secrets.
I've seen buffers driving osc opamps input -- presumably to provide low source Z on the osc opamp input (?). But a small R ll L is easy to try if I run into trouble.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Well I recieved the AD797 today and went direct to the KH4402B and yanked the LT1468 and put the AD in its place as the oscillator. yes, i added the 50pf.

Here is the result in a nut shell --> The noise dropped about 6dB and the THD+N dropped 3-4 dB's from 1KHz to 10Khz. Not a huge change but I'll take it. The oscillator THD+N is .00009- .0001% at 1KHz and .00015% at 10Khz from the direct out from the oscillator port (7v rms). Adjust the 10-turn AVC trim pot (R145) for lowest THD at 10Khz.

The lowered noise floor is now showing me junk I had not seen before (like ps harmonics so i beefed up the filtering on the ps) and allows me to see the individual harmonics better.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
AD797 osc for KH4402B -

here is what the opamp change produced -->

The noise is lower as compared to previous plots I've shown and the higher harmonics are uncovered. The ref level peak on the left is -110dB. The 2H and 3H are about a little more than 20dB below reference. The higher harmonics are more than -140dB. The noise floor shown is at -145dB. [1KHz 7v p-p; 400Hz and 100KHz filter In]

KH4402B 797.jpg

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
SVO boards

My long awaited PCBs have arrived from China.

These are development boards for my SVO design.
I panelized them to save on setup charges.

Now I have a back log of projects to catch up on since all the boards I ordered have arrived at once from various parts of the world.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 337
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 330
The lowered noise floor is now showing me junk I had not seen before (like ps harmonics so i beefed up the filtering on the ps) and allows me to see the individual harmonics better.

You might wish to consider swapping out the 7815/7915 for 317/337 with 10uF on the adjust pin. This will knock down the noise again. (My 4402 was inexpensive compared to the ones you see on EBay as the positive regulator had failed.)

The NE5534 on my 4402B are not socketed, so mine is pretty much stock.

here is what the opamp change produced -->

The noise is lower as compared to previous plots I've shown and the higher harmonics are uncovered. The ref level peak on the left is -110dB. The 2H and 3H are about a little more than 20dB below reference. The higher harmonics are more than -140dB. The noise floor shown is at -145dB. [1KHz 7v p-p; 400Hz and 100KHz filter In]

View attachment 337099

Thx-RNMarsh

Hi Rick,

Can you throw up some of the previous plots along with this one for comparison?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Today i tried the AD797 in two other makes/models. I got mixed results. In the KH4400, it did not reduce the THD+N. I think the circuit Z's and other elemnets are dominating . But the numbers are still pretty good --- typically .00035% using the LT1468.

Then i tried the AD797 in the HP 339A 's oscillator's opamp and retuned. I went back and forth a few times as the tuning of 3 seperate pots/trim interact and there is some compromise over the range of 1KHz -10KHz. But all in all the LT1468 is staying in as osc. The AD797 with these circuit impedances caused the THD to be higher. Splitting the THD+N with the adjustments leaves me with .00025% at 1KHz and .00065% at 10KHz. If tuning for best THD numbers at 1KHz, you can get under .0001%... but then at 10KHz it is much higher.
Note both the 339A and the 4400 use the jFEt as a control element. The 4402B does not use a jFET.

Thx-RNmarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You might wish to consider swapping out the 7815/7915 for 317/337 with 10uF on the adjust pin. This will knock down the noise again. (My 4402 was inexpensive compared to the ones you see on EBay as the positive regulator had failed.)

The NE5534 on my 4402B are not socketed, so mine is pretty much stock.

I have only tried adding more filter caps and a .47mfd bridge cap. Slightly (1-2dB noise improvement only). I have not tried changing the IC regulators.
BTW - what opamp is being used in your 4402 oscillator? Have you tried changing it, if it is still a 318?
I got .00015% with the LT1468. Lower now with the change to AD797....To just under .0001% THD+N.

-Richard

Last edited:
My long awaited PCBs have arrived from China.

These are development boards for my SVO design.
I panelized them to save on setup charges.

Now I have a back log of projects to catch up on since all the boards I ordered have arrived at once from various parts of the world.

Cheers,
Thanks for posting the picture of the PCB. I can appreciate the effort involved in the design. I am interested in how the frequency range switching is achieved. I can see what looks like pads for the connections in the middle of the PCB so would like to see pictures of the assembled board.