Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Joined 2004
Paid Member
1248W--larger versions probably have lower wiper contact resistance.

Samuel

I thought those were too expensive for what they are. I believe they are much more expensive than the larger ones. Many years ago a Vishay sale rep told be those were invented for hearing aid volume controls and had really low contact resistance variation (noise) but I could never get an update on that story.

I have used the 3/4" rectangular versions for many things. They seems to work really well. I could provide a sample or two if you want to try. PM me and let me know.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
If you use the same part type in each circuit, they will be cancelled as well. External to the output... layout et al is another story.

Was still thinking about app for further improving the 339A oscillator.

I personally dont have too much issue finding best passive parts. Worked that one to death already. Thx-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Well, you need the oscillator thd a LOT lower before worrying about R thd. At least with the R's i would use. Still for the 339A. Victor's are so good already, even with sm parts, that a change in parts seems like the least of the thd issues with oscillators. Trimmer contacts are a biggy for controls and contacts from switches and the like. But just pure R of most thin film R's have thd that is extreamly low. I'm not worried about them just yet as being the limiting factor for the oscillator. Thx-RNMarsh

Just to put some numbers on the trimmer issue I've re-measured 3 random samples of the Vishay metal foil 1248W parts. The ones I have are 5 kOhm, and for the test setup they were wired as rheostat (variable resistor, two terminal) and set to ~1 kOhm. Distortion measurement was carried out with a resistor bridge (an improved version of the one shown in figure 2 here: http://www.linearaudio.net/images/letters.pdf/volume1ltees.pdf) and +20 dBu across the trimmer. Observed distortion changed from specimen to specimen, with a varying mixture of 2nd and 3rd harmonic. Worst one was at -93 dB, best at -115 dB (individual harmonics, not THD).

Unless I've not considered everything or messed up the math in the hurry, this result suggests that to keep the trimmer distortion contribution negligible at the -140 dB level, the voltage across it would need to be below -30 dBu. That is for the rheostat directly in series with a fixed resistor, +20 dBu across the total resistance, and assuming that the 2nd harmonic falls proportional with fundamental level. This means that the achievable trimming range is less than 1%. If more is needed, lower fundamental levels must be chosen.

Comparison with other trimmers will have to wait...

A change in parts seems like the least of the THD issues with oscillators.

Just saying: if you want to dive towards -140 dB I'd be careful with this sort of assumptions. Verifying everything and assuming nothing is the most promising approach in this territory.

Samuel

Last edited:
I am wondered. Silonex optocouplers NSL-32SR3 seems perfect. Received some days before , today measured. LED current 0.84mA, photoresistor resistance 156 ohm, 1kHz 50mV p-p signal across photoresistor:
fftNSL-32SR3.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Just to put some numbers on the trimmer issue I've re-measured 3 random samples of the Vishay metal foil 1248W parts.
Just saying: if you want to dive towards -140 dB I'd be careful with this sort of assumptions. Verifying everything and assuming nothing is the most promising approach in this territory.

Samuel

Dont put words in my mouth. I clearly stated I was refering to R's (fixed resistors). And clearly said contacts on controls and switches were a biggy -- meaning a big issue for thd.

If you followed closely the 339A upgrades, pots and switches had to be changed and cleaned to get H2 and H3 down to the levels we now have. Also capacitors. Which BTW thd at the same level as Victor's.

Yes, we are and have been aware of the pot contacts for decades now. Demian has seen this also for as many years. These things show up in emplimenting amplifier circuits -- preamp and amps. Stuff not shown in SIM of circuit topologies.

This is an area John Curl has explored a lot and has used the best parts and controls that dont cause added harmonics. Its been a High-End issue for a long time. For myself, I said before, i can add to it my noise analyzer to find R's/pot etc that not only have the lowest thd but lowest noise - both.

The real goal: Once we get a system that can both measure and produce frequencies at -140, then we can develope audio circuits and finished product that measure what the SIM say they are capable of doing.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Do you have a list of preferred passive components on your web pages?

Resistors are on the same page as capacitors, but the text is pretty dated. I'm working on a new revision, but progress is slow...

IMHO the key trick to get very low distortion from a resistor (or passives in general) is not so much about picking a special part, but to keep the AC voltage and AC power dissipation sufficiently low by using series (and possibly parallel) connections. With this approach, ordinary metal or thin film parts (I'm often using MiniMELF ones) seem to work well, and even in the sum they tend to cost less than many precision parts (bulk metal, wirewound). The so far open question is how many series/parallel combinations are necessary for a given total resistance value, AC voltage and distortion goal. I'm currently researching this.

Samuel