Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
AN73-1

Has anyone read the Siliconix app note
AN73-1? It is: 'FET's as Voltage-Controlled Resistors' Lots of examples of FET linearization. Anti-parallel, anti-series, feedback, ...
Probably.. once apon a time. I have an old Siliconix manual... I can look at that again too. Will have to review it now for this issue. thx John for the help. -RNMarsh

This is with two VCR2N in parallel.
The 5th and 3rd came down a bit.
This worsened the 10KHz. It would need to be trimmed separately.
It's almost to the point of having to trim each frequency for best.

Attachments

• 2 fet.PNG
    2 fet.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 346
Chicken ! I dont have those same devices but I think I might have some J111 if they are same/similar? I'm not sqeemish about cutting a trace - isnt a problem for me. I dont faint at the sight of a cut. Have No Fear. -RNMarsh

Well if there is promising results I don't have a problem. One thing at a time though.
I did the dual Jfet late night. I have another idea to try similar to the degeneration but active.
Or you could call it active degeneration.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The note mentions that the lowest distortion is when the fet is most on and has the lowest Vds. The next real question is how much gain range is necessary for an AGC to stabilize an oscillator and what tradeoffs are there? I believe a range from 1.1 to .9 is more than enough (may take a while to settle or start). If Rds on is the important factor 20 Ohm FETs are quite available. Lowering the impedance of the circuit at that point would only help anyway.

The note mentions that the lowest distortion is when the fet is most on and has the lowest Vds. The next real question is how much gain range is necessary for an AGC to stabilize an oscillator and what tradeoffs are there? I believe a range from 1.1 to .9 is more than enough (may take a while to settle or start). If Rds on is the important factor 20 Ohm FETs are quite available. Lowering the impedance of the circuit at that point would only help anyway.

More gain may be needed to get the oscillator started and to it's reference level.
There is no reason why we could'nt switch from a start-up to a run mode.
Fast response to low distortion as it was done in the ST1700 series.

My experience has been that just enough gain for running at say 1KHz is insufficient for start up at other higher frequencies. The gains are different at 100, 1KHz 10KHz and 100KHz. The oscillator may run in a narrow gain range but it start.