Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Dave -- maybe if you and/or others reading this thread already have the PIC knowledge... lets all work to our knowledge/strengths and help get it done. we can help and/or do parts of it together. I would love to see a cost effective, high performance test equip come out of this in a timely manner. Myself, I have about 4-5 months before leaving the country for awhile and will be only able to monitor, ask questions etc after that. But when back, I can test and measure and compare against the commercial models I have here and help in any other ways.

Thx-RNMarsh

I not an expert in C or micro controllers but I can them to do what I want.

Hi David,
Thank you for the remark, my German friend tells me the same.
But I built my distortion meter fifteen years ago and now, with micro controllers and programming, it would be quite another design. I would left to do this part of work to future DIY enthusiasts.
At least, the filter tuning algorithm is explained clearly and comprehensively in the device's description and the Multisim simulation has confirmed its validity.
Vladimir.

Hi Vladimir,

I am far to busy with my own creations right now to even consider taking on more but if someone else is willing I can certainly help with things.

Dave -- maybe if you and/or others reading this thread already have the PIC knowledge... lets all work to our knowledge/strengths and help get it done. we can help and/or do parts of it together. I would love to see a cost effective, high performance test equip come out of this in a timely manner. Myself, I have about 4-5 months before leaving the country for awhile and will be only able to monitor, ask questions etc after that. But when back, I can test and measure and compare against the commercial models I have here and help in any other ways.

Thx-RNMarsh

I totally agree Rick. I mentioned collaboration before but didn't find much enthusiasm for the idea. Maybe someone to just manage a project and delegate. Hand out tasks to individuals. It works well with Linux but I'm not sure how well it would work here. Everyone has radically different concepts of how to go about things. Different agendas, needs and desires.

I've used PIC micros both professionally and as a hobbyist - but I must say it now appears they missed the "maker" market - Arduino has a much more robust ecosystem for newbies

if I needed anything with significant computing demands today I think I would jump to BeagleBone or similar

I've used PIC micros both professionally and as a hobbyist - but I must say it now appears they missed the "maker" market - Arduino has a much more robust ecosystem for newbies

if I needed anything with significant computing demands today I think I would jump to BeagleBone or similar

Even with the 32MX series?

I'll have a look at the BeagleBone.

BeagleBone looks more like a computer than a micro controller.

Last edited:
Well C itself is not difficult if you've programmed in any other language. What I have trouble with is understanding other peoples code. The PICs and other controllers have a million registers and a million acronyms for them or least it seems. That's where I get hung up.
The data sheets are not a very good description of how to use the modules but each module has it's own documentation and if I RTFM I can usually get a better grasp on things.

What's your difficulty with C?

I'm not sure:D

I studied PICmicros at university. The consensus there wad that the level of C experience needed was higher for these, than for other tasks. I managed to make our line follower robot work almost correctly. So I got a few P18s for ADC measurement at work. 3 months later and I'm still trying to get the ADC to output strings to LCD.....

My colleague is a Z80 fanatic, so we collectively gave up, and used the Z80 instead. Mind you, i don't get that either!

The C headers are a bit of a pain. Beats using ASM i suppose lol

Id have more success with a more traditional hardware implementation.

Last edited:
I'm not sure:D

I studied PICmicros at university. The consensus there wad that the level of C experience needed was higher for these, than for other tasks. I managed to make our line follower robot work almost correctly. So I got a few P18s for ADC measurement at work. 3 months later and I'm still trying to get the ADC to output strings to LCD.....

My colleague is a Z80 fanatic, so we collectively gave up, and used the Z80 instead. Mind you, i don't get that either!

The C headers are a bit of a pain. Beats using ASM i suppose lol

Id have more success with a more traditional hardware implementation.

Goodness three months is a long time. I would have given up sooner than that.

Did you rip someone else's code and then modify it. Or are you one of the stubborn ones who has to do from scratch?

Always rip and modify.

Cheers,

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Forget this route... we aren't professional programmers and the learning curve is too steep. I too have done some machine language coding and some high level language coding but that was a long time ago. Enough to understand what would be involved. It was an interesting thought, though.

I don't mind starting with what has already been done and copying it and along the way do some subs for parts as an update. Similar to remaking B.Cordell's THD meter design with relays instead and other easy or obvious changes.

What can we do with what has already been done and move on to pcb layout. No feature creep, either.

But. But... I really want the analyzer section. When will that be able to be shown?

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Forget this route... we aren't professional programmers and the learning curve is too steep. I too have done some machine language coding and some high level language coding but that was a long time ago. Enough to understand what would be involved. It was an interesting thought, though.

I don't mind starting with what has already been done and copying it and along the way do some subs for parts as an update. Similar to remaking B.Cordell's THD meter design with relays instead and other easy or obvious changes.

What can we do with what has already been done and move on to pcb layout. No feature creep, either.

But. But... I really want the analyzer section. When will that be able to be shown?

Thx-RNMarsh

Well lets see. It took ten lines of code to do a proportional controller that uses a numeric accumulator rather than an integrator to drive the error to zero. Four lines of that are for receiving and transmitting the data. Three lines of code for an integer DSP exponential moving average to remove 60Hz hum, 120Hz ripple and other noise. The rest is configuration of the controller and getting the digital electronics to work properly.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
i think using a microcontroller to steer the system is a great idea. Everything from autoranging to limited automatic analysis of the post notch information can be done with a $5 micro today. Stuff that takes 4-5 PCB's in the Shibasoku.

It s a perfectly normal evolution. There are more than a few people around here with the skills in spades to hadle the programming. What is necessary is to figure out what they need to program it to do.

For a complete audio analyzer I would suggest the following-
Oscillator frequency
Oscillator level
Analyzer tuning/auto
Analyzer input/autoranging
Level calculations (volts/db)
Level ratios in to out
frequency in

All of the above is done and some more in the Boonton 1120 using a Z80 in the mid-1980's. We can do much more today since the current generation of micros have lots more I/O's to work with and run much faster. I think the real questions would be whether the analog stuff is simply tunable filters for both the input and output to the ADC/DAC on the micro or if they need to be complete stand alone oscillator/notch filter elements.

I struggled for a bit with PIC and jal, then found BASCOM-AVR.
Started with a sparkfun xmega100 breakout board to get my feet wet,
I took the Elektor DSP radio article and went from there to design a complete radio/media player, a few years back now. Still am writing code for it today, 1000's of lines of code later and still going.
A few bourns rotary encoders, a 4x40 LCD display, sparkfun xmega100 breakout board and there you have it, a UI.
I can say for sure, you do not need C. The Atmel xmega MCU works really well. You can embed asm if you really need too.
There are however so many options to do the exact same thing.

Wonderful work Vladimir!! Since you share your designs, I can certainly help you with getting to my programming level. BASCOM-AVR has a free demo, but only costs 79 euro I think for a full license.

Rick

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
OK. Sounds like we have a quorum and volunteers to do the software. Which of you is IT!?

That leaves the other parts to be responsible to do -- volunteers for those parts are needed. I'll coordinate and follow and try to keep it flowing within individual time constraints.
An analyzer such as VKAudiotest did/described has the feature set I would want. That's what I am signing up for.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
What is necessary is to figure out what they need to program it to do.

For a complete audio analyzer I would suggest the following-
Oscillator frequency
Oscillator level
Analyzer tuning/auto
Analyzer input/autoranging
Level calculations (volts/db)
Level ratios in to out
frequency in

Throw in a distortion monitor port for visual and FFT and maybe a usb port?

MSRP? DIY Built for < 500 usd?

-RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hmmmmm. Lots of ideas but no one stepping up to share in the time to finish it off as a complete package.

So its back to my experience that you build what we have and known to work and performs. Then its easier to do a Ver 2.0 afterwards. Do the easy mods/updates on Ver 1.0.

Otherwise what are we doing besides talking and kicking the can further down the road.

Thx-RNMarsh

Hmmmmm. Lots of ideas but no one stepping up to share in the time to finish it off as a complete package.

So its back to my experience that you build what we have and known to work and performs. Then its easier to do a Ver 2.0 afterwards. Do the easy mods/updates on Ver 1.0.

Otherwise what are we doing besides talking and kicking the can further down the road.

Thx-RNMarsh

That's kind what I was getting at Rick. There lot's a really good ideas but no one to step up and take the task. Everyone has a different ideas and flavor of technology.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Does it really matter which way or which circuitry as long as it has the numbers we like it to have... and one which has been done already and is known to have the numbers and all the issues and bugs worked out already is a great place to start. Improve on it from that circuit. Ver 2 and ver 3.0 or something not proven will have to wait until someone else wants to do it first. We need someone's completed/tested/prototyped circuit to begin. A few have been proposed that are done via SIM. But, who is ready to show us a finished, completed schematic?

-Richard M.

Last edited: