Where to buy Router Bits... ebay???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I looked at the search results. I'm wondering where to get some bits I need. I need a minimum 1 1/2" flush trim and a 3/4 or 1" round over. Would also like to get some straight bits as well. They're so expensive though.

Anyone tried ebay, or are they junk. Where else is a good place. I live in Canada, so any .ca site recommendations would be nice. Or brick and mortar around here is even better IF the prices are fair. Thanks.

Ryan

Tools in Canada

One of my favorite suppliers is Lee Valley Tools in Ottawa. If you're going to use the router bit more than once then good quality bits are well worth the expense.

Large radius rounding over bits and hand held routers are best approached with caution!

Cyclotronguy

With tools in general and cutting tools (router bits, saw blades, drills, etc.) in particular the old adage that you get what you pay for is very true. Stick to recognized quality brands like Freud...remember that the failure of a router bit spinning at 10,000 RPM is both a safety hazard and is liable to damage the material you are working. If you are planning to use a straight bit with a circle cutting template you will find that a solid carbide spiral bit will be much smoother and more durable than a straight bit with carbide inserts. A quick Google reveals many Canadian direct order sources for router bits.

Another vote for Lee Valley. You can also try Busy Bee Tools (they've one in Vancouver), and Canadian Woodworker (Surrey). Busy Bee's line of bits aren't as high quality as Lee Valley.

As for ebay, I'd honestly stay away, unless you're getting a well known brand. Not only do is the tool quality and precision often poor (you want the flush bit to cut flush, right?), but I've heard of poor quality bits that failed and sent metal shards flying across the shop.

WOW! All the safety thoughts of cheap bits never occured to me. Makes me uneasy about using my old 1/4 shank bits.

I'll peruse Lee Valley's site. Thanks.

Oh and kevinahcc20, nice tip on the solid carbide spiral bit. I never considered that. Using the straights in a circle cutting template is pretty much exactly what I planned, so I'll try and find a solid. Thanks.

Hi All,

I looked at the search results. I'm wondering where to get some bits I need. I need a minimum 1 1/2" flush trim and a 3/4 or 1" round over. Would also like to get some straight bits as well. They're so expensive though.

Anyone tried ebay, or are they junk. Where else is a good place. I live in Canada, so any .ca site recommendations would be nice. Or brick and mortar around here is even better IF the prices are fair. Thanks.

Ryan

Island Saw in Victoria* 250-385-5500
Quality Saw and Knife in Vancouver 604-872-1696
- FS Tool, CMT (orange) or Dimar well worth the extra few bucks over Freud, House of Tools, Canadian Tire etc. house brands.

Yup, the large diameter profile bits cost money, but unless you're milling thousands of lineal feet of hard / oily solid woods or Corian etc solid surface, one of those should last a lifetime. Just be sure your router has 1/2" arbor and can spin a big bit

*Tell Dave or Mike who sent ya, they might sharpen their pencils.

Island Saw in Victoria* 250-385-5500
Quality Saw and Knife in Vancouver 604-872-1696
- FS Tool, CMT (orange) or Dimar well worth the extra few bucks over Freud, House of Tools, Canadian Tire etc. house brands.

Yup, the large diameter profile bits cost money, but unless you're milling thousands of lineal feet of hard / oily solid woods or Corian etc solid surface, one of those should last a lifetime. Just be sure your router has 1/2" arbor and can spin a big bit

*Tell Dave or Mike who sent ya, they might sharpen their pencils.

No experience with router bits, but I use a combo FS Tools blade and a melamine CMT blade, and I'm extremely happy with both. A bit on the expensive side compared to other blades, but they produce an excellent cut, and will outlast me with a few sharpenings as I go along. If their bits are anything like their blades, I wouldn't hesitate spending the extra few dollars.

I'll take a trip there sometime. Thanks. Also had a look at their website. Yikes, might be an expensive trip. Likely worth it, just kind of a cheapo ya know. :eek:

Don't even think about the Festool - gorgeous Germanic craftsmanship, but $1000 for a router?

and if you need a small bit of material run with larger profiles that you can't justify buying, DaveD knows a guy...

So far I've very good luck with just the cheap Harbor Tool bits. Safety is not so much an issue given the inherent small size. The big door making bits I have a speed control for. Only problems I've had so far was having a guide bearing on a quarter round over fall apart. Replaced it with a real bearing from a bearing house and still using the bit.

A lot of bad safety press over carbide bits came from the early days of saw blades when they weren't near as good at bonding carbide tips to the ends. When they'd break off they'd turn into missles. I still always wear a face sheild when using one. BUT I do own and regularly use up to a 60 tooth 10" carbide tooth from Harbor Tool and a bunch of 40 tooth. Three different sets of router tools. All cut just fine.

P.S. ALWAYS scan old wood with a metal detector. If you hit a steel nail or worse sheet rock screw, then all bets are off on how safe carbide tools are.
Doc

Last edited:
Bits and bits.

Merlin,

No ill will intended but router bits are kinda job specific...... depends upon what you have in mind. Look to your proposed project as a guide.

Very much the analog to I need to drill a hole, what size bit do I need if you get my meaning.

In a very general sense maybe a set of rounding over bits, a couple pattern cutting bits with follower bearings. Veining tool, lock miter set.... the list goes on.

I'd say minimum would be 1/4" 1/2" & 3/4" straight cut. One, 1/2" straight trim with end bearing, Sharp and broad round over with end bearings. Straight cuts for any thickness of wood you wish to dado for. Maybe a laminate trimmer with end bearing and a dovetail bit. If you don't have a biscuit jointer I'd definately get a bit for that as well. (Slot cutter)
I'd also get a template follower ring.

If you want to try the exotic shapes, buy a cheap set. You'll use them far less so wearing out sooner won't really be an issue. Just watch them end bearings on the cheap sets. Known to come apart. Not particularly dangerous but it could muck up a project.

Doc

I bought some ebay bits 9 years that worked fine and I still use them. I don't use them often but I do use them. I bought a panel set to make oak kitchen cabinets and had no real problem. I also bought a set of 20 various 1/2 inch bits in a nice little box that cost less than a couple of bits at lee Valley. I am making some party speakers for my son and I did go out and buy a down spiral bit to trim the edges of the oak cabinets and to cut out the speaker circles. If you don't do wood working often, cheap is ok for me anyways. If you do it everyday to put food on the table that's another matter. I live in Ottawa so Lee valley is here as well as Busy Bee. I have spent small fortunes at both places. Suprising thing Busy Bee sells Veritas( lee valley brand) for less than at the lee valley store. Go figure. Regardless of quality wear safety devices always.

Yes, I know there are hundreds of them. But I've been looking at Lee Valley, and I definitely need a straight bit 3/4", other bits may come in handy.

But, I'll mainly be plunging out speaker holes. I don't know if I should get some joinery bits.

If you mean routing round openings with a commercial jig like the Jasper (great gadget) it's calibrated for 1/4" diameter - get a 2 flute spiral up-mill bit

For a shop made compass type jig, then a 1/2" plunge bit will make quicker work of it, particularly if you want to rebate for flush mounting of round frames.

For cleaning of plywood / MDF edge overhangs , veneer / plastic laminate, etc., a 1/4" flush trim (tip mounted bearing) is a good all purpose size.

Once you decide to get fancy with edge profiles, the sky's the limit - some of the larger profile bits can cost well over $100; so ya gotta be sure it'll get used - or that you can somehow justify the expense. "Gee honey, the material break-out on the drawings I got from the internet wasn't quite right and I had to buy an extra sheet of veneer" - not "yup, that 1 1/2" round-over bit was bloody expensive, but see how nice that 6 feet of edge looks"

Ryan - keep it in mind

For myself, merlin, I have found that a good flush trimming bit is key. That's the big item I'm looking to buy. I want a 1/2" shank with at least 1.5" trimming length. It won't be cheap, but I find once the box is built, I use my crappy 1/4" shank, 1/2" long trimmer a lot. And it's getting irritating (and dull). I like the looks of the spiral bits, for trimming and cut outs. Would likely do the best job. Very expensive though.

I'd also like to get a 3/4 or 1" round over. Probably a 3/4" though. Seems that extra 1/4" costs a lot :(

What does a biscuit joiner do???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.