Wanted: acoustic "noise" source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have to admit, I don't quite get what they were trying to achieve with the secondary noise source. Is it a reference floor that is extracted from the DUT output? We have far better ways to understand polar radiation.

If one had the noise source, then you would need to build the room. A far harder and more costly project.

I have to admit, I don't quite get what they were trying to achieve
Without a more clear explanation of *what* you don't understand it's hard to help. In the McIntosh lab the noise source provided a reference standard for power response measurements. What I'm looking for is that, and a way to (easily) measure the absorbtion profile of a room. Anything with a known power output spectrum would do, but a flat spectrum makes it easier, since the room can then be read directly with a spectrum analyzer (without having to apply a correction curve).

So, you are looking for basically a perfect omni-directional pink source and known power. Not sure one exists. Well, a fan is pretty clever for the 50's. Probably a bit more white than pink. Might explain some of Mac's speakers :) I am guessing they were trying to save the absurd cost of an anoeic chamber.

I believe the current thoughts are to use very short bursts that are less that the reverb time, and to gate the measurement. This basically eliminates the room from the DUT. I have never been a fan of broadband noise testing. About as useful as pure tone. I am sure others have their views and preferred methods. I am afraid the "easy" way we are all searching for still eludes us. It might be worthwhile to note, Joe D'Appolito gets buy with his basement and a few old surplus cotton mattresses.

So, you are looking for basically a perfect omni-directional pink source and known power. Not sure one exists.
Doesn't have to be "perfect" . . . that makes it a quest for the Holy Grail. "Known power" is more important that directionality (within reason, of course).

I am guessing they were trying to save the absurd cost of an anoeic chamber.
No, they were looking to directly measure power response, since "guestimating" it from averaging multi-axis measurements was even more tedious then than it is now.

I believe the current thoughts are to use very short bursts that are less that the reverb time, and to gate the measurement. This basically eliminates the room from the DUT.
That's fine for single axis measurement of loudspeakers, not so fine for power response measurement, and all but useless for measuring a room's absorbtion spectrum.

But was not their goal to be able to extract the room from the measurement?
What does that mean?

Their "goal" appears to have been to measure the power response of loudspeakers. Their proceedure (using the fan as a "flat" power source, and thus the "reference") also reveals the "reverberant room's" absorbtion curve, but I don't find any reference to that being a "goal", or to their using it to measure the absorbtion of other rooms. Which isn't to say that they didn't . . .

Wow, I have that same GR Sound & Vibration Analyzer with the coupling to the GR high speed chart recorder- they sold it as a system. Underneath is the beat frequency oscillator that could give 20-20k in one turn of the dial; got one of those too for heating the basement in the winter. It was neat gear and I used it to design several speakers, but the whole mess probably weighs a couple hundred pounds and can be replaced and far outclassed by a laptop and sound card. My lab is however, incomplete, as I've no squirrel cage fan.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How about a gun? You know, like a starter pistol - if it's the room that interests you and not the speaker. That's how a lot of impulse measurements of rooms are done.

That's what I wanted to do, until I found out you have to have a permit for a starter pistol in this stupid county. :xeye:

These days wouldn't it be easiest just to sum multiple mic locations from a small source? This also gets around the otherwise thorny issue of a single mic location's universality/validity.
It would take a lot of locations, I suspect, and weighting the summation wouldn't be particularly easy. Of course the "fatal flaw" of all box loudspeakers (baffle step) is fairly simple to model, but how would you account for lobing (around the crossover frequency) on the forward vertical axis? The McIntosh technique actually measured the overall power respones . . .

For measuring a room it would probably be reasonable to take several measurements within the listening area, and to look selectively at absorption from particular walls or surfaces.

How about a gun? You know, like a starter pistol - if it's the room that interests you and not the speaker.
That is, of course, the old "standard source" for reverberation time . . . but I've never seen it characterized for power distribution in a way that would make it easily used for absorbtion profile. And there is that "problem" you mention . . . you probably wouldn't be allowed to carry a fan onto an airplane (they'd find a reason), but it probably wouldn't be an issue in the studio or performance space (or my listening room <g> . . .). And a steady-state noise source is easy to measure and visualize (with a spectrum analyzer).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.