Keeping that old test gear running-the scope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just read a very interesting article from this forum by Dan Didden titled "The way I see it: No household should be without a scope!"
It reminded me of some years back when we audio techs/hobbyists found the cost of a scope just too expensive to afford. Back in the 70's I found a add in a magazine describing the building of a simple oscilloscope as part of a basic electronics course.
The British National Radio & Electronics School was the company that offered the course. In those days the scope was a two valver and was built in stages along with the learning material. I still have this scope and a circuit diagram,but unfortunately, not the manual that came with it!
These scopes were very basic and not a measuring scope (not calibrated), but the fun of building it and the education that followed was invaluable.
The article by Dan Didden shows very much how times have changed on the oscilloscope scene.
We now have LCD digital scopes offering a multitude of features and at a cost well below the price of a scope back in the 90's. The Owon PDS5022S is one example. This scope costs way under 200 pounds,is a storage scope, can connect to a PC via USB & has many maths features that once would of only been found on oscilloscopes that cost many times more!
But, with all this advancement in technology & reduced costs to the end user,there is one thing that has not changed - the need to keep our older test gear going!
I have a number of older scope instruction & service manuals in PDF form (see list below) if you want a copy let me know & I should be able to e-mail you a copy. If anyone has any information on the old British National Radio & Electronics School Scope, I would be grateful for any info.
Good luck on the audio servicing.
Phill

Scope List....

Goodwill 2060 DSO scope operation manual
Gould OS300 Service manual
Gould-OS300 Instruction Manual
Hameg- HM205-2 Service Manual
Hameg- HM303-6 Instruction Manual
Hitachi-V-211 212 222 422 Service Manual
Hitachi-V-1150 Service manual
Iwatsu- SS6050 Service Manual
Kenwood- CS-6010 Service Manual
Leader- LBO-516 Service Manual
Thandar SC110A Oscilloscope Service Manual
Thandar SC110A Oscilloscope Instruction Manual
Trio-CS-1554 Service Manual

Heathkit Scope Calibrator IG-4244 Schematic
Heathkit- PKW-101 Scope Probe

Hi Phill.
Yes, remember those old days, and the course in the electronics school.
Used to dream of owning a 'scope, would have been incredibly useful knocking up those pirate am rigs in the late 60's and early 70's.
Have made up for it since and have more scopes then the missus can shake a stick at...
Would definitly like a copy of the LBO516 service manual.
Regards
Henry

I remember how excited I was to get my first scope. It was a Tek 545B formerly owned by a college professor. Though I have faster more modern scopes, smaller scopes, back up scopes and parts scopes, I still use that 545B every week. Jim Williams made a statement that, "The thing just radiated intellectual honesty." IMO, Tek was brilliant in grouping controls and coloring labels and lines so the user would understand how everything was connected. Though I use PC based test equipment, give me big knobs and clear displays any day of the week.

Seconded. I always preferred the Tek control ergonomics over any other scope I ever used... which was a lot of them. Beside the old HP120 I also own a 454A & a 2465 plain. Control layout makes a big difference when troubleshooting. Williams could afford any scope he might have wanted. In a pic of his home bench you see a 2465B and an old dual beam tek with dual quad plugins.
Doc

Had a Heathkit my Dad got through the Bell and Howell VA paid school. It was such junk, I moved to a 20Meg "Ramsey" that had busted switches but worked. Then bought a Tek 60Meg, dual gun, tube based. Heated half the house but what a fantastic scope. I finally found a 2235 cheap. Not the match for the old 465, but decent. You can't stuff your head in a hood and fumble around for the knobs with a PC based scope. I do have Zalescope. OK for what it cost.

I am right there on the ergonomics of Tek vs HP, Nicloet, Phillips ,or other scopes. I like their trigger filtering better too. If I remember a Hitachi I used in the field was not bad for a really cheap scope. P6-106 were the best probes ever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.