Anybody know "Trio" oscilloscopes/tone-generators?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
When I was a child I remember not being able to sleep because my farther was testing amps and loudspeakers using a tone generator......

Forty years later I am in a similar situation - the audio hobby is genetically heritable!

Recently, I have dug out the equipment used by my farther including an oscilloscope (Trio CO-1303D) and a tone generator (Trio AG-202A). Knowing my farther he would have bought the "second-best" so maybe this gear is still useful besides the emotional value.

The units works perfectly when powering them on after 30 years of disuse. My idea of recapping the oscilloscope unit was a bit discouraged after opening the unit - everything is wired/soldered so carefully that disassembly will be very complex.....

Advise or opinions anybody?

Cheers,
Nic

I have two AG202A and no problems at all. When I replaced all capacitors few weeks ago, I noticed some of the capacitors start leaking at the bottom, small amount of electrolytic leak from the bottom of the rubber seals. I am highly recommand replace all capacitors if units over 30 years ago.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Trio is Kenwood, who were still making some test equipment recently.

The caps won't leak unless there is heat and stress. I have some 50 year old HP equipment that I was about to recap and then tested the parts in them. The caps were still low ESR (similar to new parts) and otherwise OK. if the parts are good then maybe you should leave it for now. if the units have seen a lot of use then replacement may be in order.

Very good advices above: I also own a Trio scope I bought more than 40 years ago, and it is still perfectly functional, although I just keep it as a backup, in case my Fluke fails.

Good E-caps made 40 or 50 years ago are still perfectly OK if they aren't overstressed or overheated.

If you search the forum, you will find many stories of needless recappings turning into complete and irrecoverable disasters.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Its a real condrum to decide. i have a Keithley 2015 and they are known for cap failures. However it seems OK and a real bear to open and work on. I already have the parts just really not wanting to open it and have it turn into Pandora's box.

I have numerous scopes, including several Tek 7000 mainframes, as well as various digital efforts. None of them are as sharp as my little Kenwood. The trace is as sharp as a draughtsman's pen. We also have a Trio receiver in the family that must be pushing 50 years old. It is still going strong and has only needed a light service.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.