Measurement Mic - USB Phantom Power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys!

I've been a hobbyist for a while now, but I think the time has come to get a decent starter measurement mic.

I've decided that I will get either the Dayton EMM-6 or the Behringer ECM8000.

I've been shopping around for phantom power supplies, and I've noticed there are several nifty looking USB ones, such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Micropho...al-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1319543028&sr=1-11

How do you guys think the performance of one of these would be for accurate measurements? Does anyone have one?

Just a quick follow up. I've got my hands on the EMM-6 and the Blue Icicle. I've been working on my tripod rig, which I think I have set the way I want it, with a log steel rod threaded at one end for mounting the microphone clip.

I took a few preliminary measurements just to see how the calibration looked and to make sure the icicle had good bandwidth. So far so good. In the next week, I'm going to drag some speakers outside and try to bust out some good measurements.

For now, I can say that this setup seems to work great for less than $100 bucks, I don't think it can be beat.

Buy a calibrated mic. Spend the extra $60 up front or you will be sorry later. No kidding. They are no where near as flat as you think. If you are doing ported speakers, you may want two. I used my calibrated one to make up a calibration for my first one I bought without cal. Same for the Panasonic capsule which was my first mic.

I started with an Audio Buddy feeding my sound card. Not great. I tried one of the USP cylinders. Worked, but still was not happy. My software was not going to be happy with two USB mics. I went over the top and use a e-mu 1616. Lower noise, lower distortion. It serves as a complete A2D D2A with the addition of a buffer between my voltage divider probes and the e-mu as it is 600 Ohms on the line in.

Buy a calibrated mic. Spend the extra $60 up front or you will be sorry later. No kidding. They are no where near as flat as you think. If you are doing ported speakers, you may want two. I used my calibrated one to make up a calibration for my first one I bought without cal. Same for the Panasonic capsule which was my first mic.

I started with an Audio Buddy feeding my sound card. Not great. I tried one of the USP cylinders. Worked, but still was not happy. My software was not going to be happy with two USB mics. I went over the top and use a e-mu 1616. Lower noise, lower distortion. It serves as a complete A2D D2A with the addition of a buffer between my voltage divider probes and the e-mu as it is 600 Ohms on the line in.

The EMM-6 is calibrated.

Excellent. Now you can go outside in the dead of night and try to measure something, only to find out how NOISY it is. I live about 2 miles from highway so the sub 100Hz is terrible. You never notice it during the day from all the other noise. But then again, measuring a woofer outside exactly where it is going to be used is pretty useless anyway.

What are you measuring Dr? Your listening room? Just curious, as I am working with my son on a bedroom converted to recording/mixing space and learning about treatments and measuring. I think the measuring could be overkill for this purpose but it looks like fun and something new to learn. All I'm lacking is a mic and I'm considering getting a calibrated Behringer ECM8000 from Cross Spectrum Labs... Cross-Spectrum - Calibrated Behringer ECM8000 Microphones for Sale. And using Room EQ Wizard analysis software REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page with an maudio USB external sound card. Who knows where it could lead. Anyway I'd like to hear your thoughts and details about your measurement project. And why did you select the EMM-6 over the Behringer?

Thanks!

What are you measuring Dr? Your listening room? Just curious, as I am working with my son on a bedroom converted to recording/mixing space and learning about treatments and measuring. I think the measuring could be overkill for this purpose but it looks like fun and something new to learn. All I'm lacking is a mic and I'm considering getting a calibrated Behringer ECM8000 from Cross Spectrum Labs... Cross-Spectrum - Calibrated Behringer ECM8000 Microphones for Sale. And using Room EQ Wizard analysis software REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page with an maudio USB external sound card. Who knows where it could lead. Anyway I'd like to hear your thoughts and details about your measurement project. And why did you select the EMM-6 over the Behringer?

Thanks!

Oh, I've been going measurement happy on everything, the room, sub placement, all my surround speakers, speakers I haven't finished yet, etc.

The reason I picked the EMM-6 is because it showed up on sale, so I managed to snag it for quite a bit less than the Behringer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.