Oscilloscope probes earthed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello akis,

For measuring a floating voltage, you can use differential probes.
It is more secure than remove the earth of your equipment that remove also
your own protection if an issue occur on it..

Using an isolation transformer can avoid some problems, but not if you want
to measure something connected directly on the ac outlet !

Regards.

FRex

Hi. My tone generator's common is earthed, so as soon as I connect it to the circuit under test the circuit's own common becomes earthed too. The oscilloscope is earthed which as you said makes dangerous to try to measure AC from mains transformer's secondary windings on PSUs which may use earth as common too.

I will just learn to be careful now, do not attach the shield of the oscilloscope probe unless I am sure of what I am doing.

You can measure floating voltages using Differential Mode with your 'scope so long as you remain within the limits of your 'scope inputs.

Set the two input channels to the same gain/attenuation and invert one channel, then use the Add function.
The voltage you then want to view is only between the two tips of your test probes.

This method is also described as 'Common Mode Rejection' and there is a useful description of this in the Manual for the Tek 7A18A dual input plug-in on page 2-8:
http://bama.edebris.com/download/tek/7a18a/tek-7a18a.pdf
Probably also described well elsewhere.

Same principles for any 'scope with these functions available for the input channels, but be aware that you need 2 input channels to view one signal in this mode.
Very useful for looking at either Balanced line signals or Bridged Amplifier Outputs etc where the wanted signal is not directly referenced to a common ground......

hope this assists
Mik

Please be aware that you will still need a Mains Isolation Transformer if you want to look at the AC Input side of Power Supplies for example!
Mik

Why? I dont think so, the 2 probe method still works.

NEVER LIFT YOUR GROUND (on anything) A lot of oscilloscope chassis are tied to ground so if you lift it and put a single probe across the amp rails, and touch the scope case, poof your DEAD! 50volts is more than enough to kill you!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.