simple adjustable voltage regulator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anyone have a schematic floating around to build a simple adjustable voltage regulator? what i ahve to work with is about 18vdc, and i want to be able to adjust it between 10.5 and 16. right now, i'm implementing a 16v shunt, but i would rather step away from shunt, and adjust. btw, i need to handle 10a, though i may build another at much higher amperage. just don't have time to research it right now.

Currents of 10A and higher is never simple! check the ESP site for the battery charger project. A few resistors will need to be changed on the V adj circuit. Read it and I could answer any Q.note> I'm guessing 16 V out maybe an issue with only 18V DC input depending on exact transformer used resulting from output current and ripple voltage. ie If you can use higher Vin-Vout this relatively simple circuit will be fine.

Last edited:
sorry to bother with something so simple..... i just hop on the plane to work wed. i was just looking to put together something tried and true. that esp charger project took a bit to find, but i got it. i'm going to order the parts, and build it when i get back home, but for now, i'm going to try and put together an lm350, or 317based setup and try to sinc 4, or 6 of them to get me buy on crappy nte parts(local option) thanks for the flogging and help.

If you look at the data sheets and application notes for the various adjustable regulators, many show circuit for higher currents. The essense of it is using the LM317 with a large pass transistor added to carry the current. The 317 controls the transistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.