Abacus Robot: My diy CNC PCB Milling/Drilling Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Platform: Ubuntu 10.04
CNC Software: EMC2 PCB CNC software
PCB CAD: Eagle PCB CAD
Gcode Translator/Generator: PCB Gcode

Construction Pics...

Spindle Holder design:

DremelHolder-1.jpg

DremelHolder3.jpg

Spindle: Dremel 300

IMG_1880.jpg

Building the base...

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

Installing the linear guides for the Y-axis...

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

X and Z axis linear guides...

IMG_1982.jpg

Zero backlash stepper motor couplings...

DSC_2993.jpg

NEMA 23 stepper motor mounts...

DSC_2995.jpg

Laser cut engineering plastic spacers...

DSC_2997.jpg

DSC_3002.jpg

Assorted limit switches...

DSC_3005.jpg

X and Y axis mounted with the spacers...

DSC_3009.jpg

DSC_3008.jpg

DSC_3006.jpg

DSC_3007.jpg

Making sure the Z-axis is perfectly squared with the X-axis...

DSC_3010.jpg

DSC_3012.jpg

3-Axis micro-stepping stepper motor drivers...

DSC_3013.jpg

The photo-isolated parallel port breakout board...

DSC_3019.jpg

one of three NEMA 23 sized stepper motors from Pacific Scientific...

DSC_3022.jpg

pimped and modified pc psu for 12V and 5V supply source...

DSC_3024.jpg

Ball bearings to prevent leadscrew end-play...

DSC_3028.jpg

Installing the stepper motors and lead screws...

DSC_3030.jpg

DSC_3031.jpg

DSC_3033.jpg

Laser cut spindle mounts...

DSC_3035.jpg

Installed the roller bearings with a piece of aluminum as diy bushings...

DSC_3036.jpg

DSC_3037.jpg

Installing the limit switches...

DSC_3038.jpg

DSC_3040.jpg

DSC_3041.jpg

DSC_3042.jpg

DSC_3043.jpg

DSC_3044.jpg

Almost there!!!

DSC_3045.jpg

DSC_3046.jpg

And my son inspecting the outcome of the project... ;D

DSC_3048.jpg

DSC_3049.jpg

Motor wiring harness...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Holder for the connectors...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Got some endmills and drill bits from eBay...

Also installed some high-bright LEDs attached on the spindle mounts to illuminate the work piece...

PCB holders and retainers from scrap aluminum...

And time for some PCB Milling!!!

IMG_2181.jpg

Here are some videos, forgive the blurry quality and poor lighting though...

Stepper Motor pre-test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTJ032-n_U0

Pen Pre-Testing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8In1cJoiPc&feature=related

Milling video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9kv77lQx7U

Milling video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdoufqYjh_E

Cheers!

Sweet!

Two things...

Lucite sheet/ acrylic sheet is not dead flat and varies in thickness... fyi.
May not be significant.

It is a good idea to install a collar thingie near the cutter end of the dremel that is hooked to ur vacuum cleaner to get the dust out of the air and away from the work... there are a few different ways to implement it...

Nice job... whose controller did you use??

_-_-bear

AWESOME !!!

Very nice work. Watch the duty cycle on that dremel. I've toasted one before from over temp. Maybe add an overtemp system shutdown sensor touching the dremel case? LM 61's are cheap.
Just a thought.
Doc

That Dremel is a darling, only gets warm during my use. But I'll closely monitor it as you've said, I have a handheld IR temp sensor which I use to take temps of the motors, drivers, psu, etc.

Thanks!

Sweet!

Two things...

Lucite sheet/ acrylic sheet is not dead flat and varies in thickness... fyi.
May not be significant.

It is a good idea to install a collar thingie near the cutter end of the dremel that is hooked to ur vacuum cleaner to get the dust out of the air and away from the work... there are a few different ways to implement it...

Nice job... whose controller did you use??

_-_-bear

Thanks for the thought, I did make thickness measurements and was very happy with an error of only 0.0015" on the caliper. I reckon that anything over 0.01 would yield an uneven pcb especially if the work piece is larger than 5" X 5".

The vacuum is an old car vacuum that I power from a bench top 12V supply. :D

The controllers are pretty generic stepper drivers only.

What are you using for limit stops and how is that integrated to the motors and/or software?

Btw, I just picked up a nice homebrew type of table similar to yours from the local surplus place, needs a little TLC and the steppers acquired and installed, but otherwise it is all there...

_-_-bear

Very nice!

This looks remarkably similar to an engraving machine I was offered for $1000 a year ago from an industrial surplus place. The main difference was the engraver used a motor mounted in a fixed position with a collet held like a Dremel and connected to the motor by a flexible "speedometer cable" drive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.