Solartron 1310 Frequency Response Analyser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just acquired 2 of these Solartron 1310 Frequency Response Analysers, one still in the post. A pic of the unit below.

The first one I ran up on the bench today; some life with the Volt Meter circuit working but the internal Signal Generator has a fault which gives something like ramp shaped output waveforms for the lower frequency ranges and asymmetric 'oscillations' on the negative half cycles at higher frequencies. Pic of the 'scope showing higher frequency output below.
Haven't checked the Phase function yet as think that the internal signal generator needs to be sorted first.

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for where within this Instrument or better still a pdf copy of a Service Manual I could have please - plenty of test points inside together with many 10-turn presets for calibration!
A Rear panel label says this instrument was manufactured by EMR Schlumberger Instruments, Sarasota, Florida.
Unfortunately a thorough web-search turns up no info.

Their intended use here, when working, is to further investigate Current-Voltage Phase angles presented to Power Amplifiers by Speaker/Passive Crossover Loads instead of the stack of instruments I currently have to use as in this thread:
Power Factors for 'Speakers - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

thanks in advance
Mik

Attachments

• Solartron-1310-front.jpg
    Solartron-1310-front.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Solartron-1310-sineout.jpg
    Solartron-1310-sineout.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 155
Thanks for the point about dry joints, have removed. cleaned and replaced the DIL ribbon connectors which improved things but the 'tapping' method hasn't thrown anything up.

One interesting result:
a bit of 'random prodding around' has found that the case voltage of an RCA 40362 TO5 Transistor, ID'd as Q23, is at +5.2 volts; but of much more interest is that the applied meter prod 'load' removes the -ve half cycle oscillations and also corrects the sinewave output voltage to the correct level... so might have located one area of one of the circuit boards to now fault-find further.

Mik

First of these Solartron 1310's now working and measurements on it using a 'series CR test circuit' give the same results as other Instruments that I have.

Q23 replaced with a BC461, plus a small value cap added, cured the internal Signal Generator instability.
Time also spent cleaning edge connectors to PCB's and ribbon cables.

Very good considering the Instrument was made back in the 1970's!
Mik

PS: still could use a Service and Calibration Manual as have another 1310 arriving tomorrow...

The second 1310 now also working but definitely is in need of calibration.

A Catalog page for it when new giving the specs below although I am still in need of Service/Calibration info!
Mik

Attachments

• Sol- DA1310.pdf
    179 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Doc, Pete
thanks, have spent hours also searching/emailing Manual 'stores' and download sites plus posting on other Forums as well for these - still no manual so far.

At least having 2 of them i have a fighting chance on repairing one should it fail by comparison with the working one, but not easy!

Finding them very useful for looking at active/passive crossover responses.....

Next thing to look at with them is an output of the Phase Angle as a voltage so I might be able to use one with my Bruel and Kjaer 2010 Analyser and 2307 Chart Recorder - the B&K phase measuring box is well outside my budget
Mik

Yah. Having worked on a number of North Atlantic LF Phase Gain meters and HP RF units at varioua times I realize just how involved and exotic they can get. I was thinking og building me just a simple scalar network analyzer based on a sweeping intersil function gen circuit and a log detector. The AD8307 will read a scale of 92 db from DC-500Mhz, So I could use the same detector to do RF stuff as well. No phase info, but can be assembled for less than thirty bucks. Then I'm looking at sound card mods to use them as DC A/D's, though I have a serial data logger that would work. Just too many irons and not enough fires.
Doc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.