Non ESD-Safe Soldering iron to ESD-Safe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have finished reading a DIY tutorial about making a non esd-safe soldering iron to an ESD-safe soldering iron by just grounding the soldering tip. ??? ??? ???

My question is DOES IT really make an ESD-Safe Iron? and Please share your thoughts about this method or any other method for Non ESD-Safe -> ESD-Safe

Tronxkid

I haven't bookmarked it and its nothing complex. No circuit, no temperature or voltage controller. Just ordinary 2 wire soldering iron with 3-core wire which ground wire is connected to the tip.

Would need to take a look at the article to be sure about it - but IF you can keep the ground connection to the tip secure it should be ok. You might need to have a bleeder resistor in the circuit tho.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hmmm.. I have a question may be a very foolish one. but I think its good to clear all doubts.

Why should we buy ESD-Safe soldering stations or irons If we can simply make a NON ESD-Safe iron to a ESD-safe iron?

I have bought 2 good anti static mats which are quiet cheap and glued it to the table.
http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_bla...s4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B000A3PL38

and a anti static strap. http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_bla...s4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B00004Z5D1
I think I'm FULLY GROUNDED :usd::usd:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hmmm.. I have a question may be a very foolish one. but I think its good to clear all doubts.

Why should we buy ESD-Safe soldering stations or irons If we can simply make a NON ESD-Safe iron to a ESD-safe iron?

I have bought 2 good anti static mats which are quiet cheap and glued it to the table and a anti static strap.
I think I'm FULLY GROUNDED :usd::usd:

Repair centers that are certified as being ESD compliant must use certified equipment. DIY doesn't.

Good to see you have the anti-static mat and strap. You might want to read up a bit about proper ESD handling of components. Even a little bit of static discharge can damage a solid state device. Thus storing and handling components properly is important.
Electrostatic-sensitive device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some photo's of ESD damage http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701-s&sz=all&va=esd+damage

Last edited:
Does the iron have a 3 prong plug? If so measure from the tip to the third prong with an ohm meter. If it says 0 ohms then that is all there is to it. (most are). I have spent decades working in esd certified work places, I think that these days the semiconductors rarly suffer esd damage. Not the issue that people try to make it out to be.

Does the iron have a 3 prong plug? If so measure from the tip to the third prong with an ohm meter. If it says 0 ohms then that is all there is to it. (most are). I have spent decades working in esd certified work places, I think that these days the semiconductors rarly suffer esd damage. Not the issue that people try to make it out to be.

Yes it has a 3 prong plug and handle of the iron made with some plastic.

Some MOS devices can have their gates destroyed by mere mains borne noise and hum at a soldering iron tip. Merely grounding/ earthing the tip is not the answer. You will need to use a series resistor somewhere between 470K and a meg. This will limit the current of any possible static discharge.

I have actually modified a couple of irons using a 470k 2W resistor and have never blown a gate with them yet. I used to have a 110v iron for site use(in the UK 110 is the only sensible thing on site) that iron would regularly blow MOS stuff from leakage and or hum at the tip until the resistor ground mod.

Cheers Matt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.