Handled oscilloscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi friends,

I need to get an oscilloscope for my future DIY devices, and because I have the 2 following constraints:

a-.I would like to save as much space as possible
b-.I work in 2 different places (in my house during the week and in another house located away during the weekend, si i would like to bring it with me)

I plan to avoid the classical oscilloscopes and would like to go to a handled portable oscilloscope, such as this one for example (the Fluke are too expensive for my first one...):

DSO8060 Five-in-one Handheld Oscilloscope_Hatek Electronic co.,Ltd._http://www.hantek.com.cn

I do not trust the PC based oscilloscopes but I would like to know if some of you have already used a handled oscilloscope and what is your feedback. I do not need a "state of the art" oscilloscope, so it may be suitable for my use ?

Thanks for your replies,

The Hantek is more than just a portable scope, and looks like a pretty good piece of gear. Do you know what it costs? I would expect it to be at least 1000 dollars. 60 Mhz,
math functions, lots of automatic measurment, case, probes, computer interface, ect. I have to add that while I have herd of the brand, I have never used one.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Actually, most of the classic scopes are quite portable. They're not pocket scopes, but if you travel by car it's really no biggie. Even if you travel by bicycle, you can just throw one in a backpack and be done. I'd look at the TEK 2215, 2465B, etc.

For $500, I bet you can get one of the "breadbox" (my term) oscilloscopes. That'd be the smaller, benchtop scopes with color LCD screens. Those are really nice. That'd be the TDS1000 or TDS2000-series. It's so nice with the color screens when you have more than one signal on the screen. It's not a must have, but certainly is a nice-to-have.

For audio work, 50~100 MHz bandwidth is plenty. Actually, as I live pretty close to an FM broadcast radio station, I have to limit the bandwidth of my 400 MHz scope to 20 MHz when taking critical measurements as the signal from the FM transmitter results in about 10 mVpp of signal pick-up by my scope probes.

I have a Fluke 92 handheld scope that I picked out of a junk pile. I never use it. 1) because it gobbles up batteries like there is no tomorrow and 2) because the user-interface sucks when you're used to a real scope. It's too slow to have to step through menus to change a setting which on a normal scope can be done by the turn of a knob or push of a button.

I have used fancy PC scopes including a very expensive 200 MHz PXI scope from National Instruments. The front-end of PC scopes (including the NI one) suck. They are generally limited to 0.1~10 V signals. All my analog scopes go to 2 mV/div or 5 mV/div. You may not think you ever need to measure anything that low, but you'd be surprised what you'll get into once you have to debug a circuit for instability, high noise, ground hum, etc.

~Tom

Last edited:
I use the DPScope and am happy with it, except that it does not have an AC/DC switch. I am working on a circuit to install in the small box to rectify that.
The problem with most digital scopes is that they are 8-bit resolution which is totally inadequate for serious (even low-serious) audio work. E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.