Implementing a “Y Out” on an Oscilloscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
...but I'm afraid that myself, hanging behind a scope sometimes for days, haven't got one either.

Albert
Apart from the qualitative difference that you at least admit you have no clue, the crucial difference is that your “having got one” has no fatal effect on anybody’s life.

invented a positive feedback loop, with a delay line.
The trick was using a small trickle of bleeding current (B+) and recycle this into a multiplyer effect, probably co-inventing a white-cathode follower.

I gather that you are professionally involved with economics.
If this is so, I would like to ask you if such kind of modelling and simulation takes place in your field.

Many years ago when I was told of my type II diabetes, I started reading about the multiple feedback system of the human body hormones and the associated glands. I learned a lot with my wife’s help, but the whole system was so complex, I had to sketch it in a form of block diagram to get a clue of how things affect one another.

I do have an degree related to business economics and had to model macro-economics.
The models were similar to technical models.
Modeling is quite similar to LCR networks. That is: there are current flows, that do have interactions, control points. Not really rocket science (but even rocket science is in essence not complex, if we take the ballistics part for instance).

Like we can use a schematics drawing and simulation program, I have never seen such a program for 'simpletons' at all, too bad many.

Luck with your diabetes, keep it in control!
albert

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The models were similar to technical models.
Modeling is quite similar to LCR networks

Albert, thank you for answering.

I was (naively) thinking of starting with something in the form of this:
File:Circulation in macroeconomics.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and then further analysing/modelling each block and so on.
I understand that there is the difficulty of verifying the fit of each block’s model output with “real world” historical data to check the validity of the transfer function of each block and of the whole architectural concept.

But I guess that since we can’t end to a consensus here for much simpler systems like a home audio system, how can it be accomplished in microeconomics :faint:

Welcome
Jamel: Java Agent-based MacroEconomic Laboratory

Luck with your diabetes, keep it in control!

Till now I have some success, doing a simple thing.
I tell him: “O.K. you can finish me. But if I die, you die too. Take your pick”. :D

Regards
George

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
keep in control. There is only one in charge.

I don’t know if Plato suffered from diabetes, but had I have put it this way, I am afraid that mine would have replied with a smile in his face:
“That, I know. Do you?” :headshot:

A bit more seriously now, what works wonders, is stress diminishing.
Since I can’t change the angstig core of me, or/and influence the extraneous stimulations, I try to bleed my stress instead.

Exercising ;), long hours transformer winding, trying to make an oscillator start oscillating, trying to make an amplifier stop oscillating, enjoying like Nero the view (and smell) of a blown-up amp and forming in my mind the next victim circuit.
All these work for me. :checked: :smash:

Listening to classical music (this one helps too in reducing the :drink:which is a :key::down: for diabetes. :sad: but true)

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes :D

Attachments

• DSC_7615.jpg
    DSC_7615.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 97
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi George it is 0.21 ohms, the flash on the camera made the second decimal point look somewhat illuminated. This was one of the 1uF caps (a 1uF electro will be much higher than that). I also measured one of the 100nF caps, ESR was 17 ohms, that is similar to other 100nF caps I have which were 16 ohms. The high esr of 100nf caps was something I wasn't aware of, it actually changes simulation results somewhat when entered into the cap's properties.

I measured quite a few caps in the junk draw when I first got it going, was quite surprising the range of values.

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi George, electros are what showed the biggest variation, plastic film caps are reasonably similar, but the difference between say a 1uF electro and a 1uF film cap is substantial! here are some measurements.

100nF caps first.

evox rifa mmk (polyester) 16 ohms
evox rifa SMR (
Polyphenylene Sulphide) 15 ohms
arcotronics R73 (Polypropylene) 16 ohms
vishay roderstine mkp1837 (polypropylene) 16 ohms
yours tyco? ??? 17 ohms

now 1uF

100V Y.C bipolar (electro) 2.3 ohms
50V Elna silmic II (electro) 3.2 ohms
250V Axon (polypropylene) 0.18 ohms
63V vishay BC (polyester) 0.25 ohms (yours George)

10uF

rubycon ZA 25V (electro) 0.46 ohms
Nichicon FG 50V (electro) 0.90 ohms
samxon 16V (electro 0.8) ohms
Joe Master 25V (electro) OLD 1.8 ohms
Lelon 100V (electro) 1.3 ohms (yours George)
Axon 11uF 250V (polyproylene) 0.09 ohms

100uF

Nichicon FG 16V (electro) 0.25 ohms
Lelon 16V (electro) 0.35 ohms (probably old)
Rubycon XA 35V (electro) 0.7 ohms
Nichicon FG 50V (electro) 0.15 ohms
Nichicon FG 100V (electro) 0.09 ohms

1000uF

Elna silmic II 25V 0.03 ohms
Panasonic FC 50V 0.02 ohms

4700uF Nichicon FW 35V on the limit of meters resolution. 0.01 ohms.

anyway hope they wets your appetite ;) I actually don't have too many more I can test...

Tony.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I do and I have,but either their esr is over 99 ohms, or the meter doesn't work properly below a certain capacitance value (which may mean the 100nf results aren't valid)... The primary use for the meter is supposed to be for troubleshooting circuits, primarily electrolytic capacitors, as their esr goes up dramatically when they are failing / have failed. I'll have to check if there are any guidelines on how low a value capacitor it can give useful esr measurements for.

I do have a 330pf Wima FKP in my junk box, I should try that and see but I suspect It will be the same as the ceramics, if not then it will be an interesting result :) will have to wait till tonight, as I'm on the way to work at the moment. I'll have to see if I have any large value ceramics (more than likely on an old circuit board retrieved from a discarded component), a 1uF would be ideal :)

Tony.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'll have to check if there are any guidelines on how low a value capacitor it can give useful esr measurements for.

You can use the five 100nF caps you have measured already.
Connect 2 of them in series, record the resulting capacitance and the measured esr.
Then connect 3. Then 4. Then 5

Then start again with 2 but in parallel. Then 3, 4,5.

In series connection, as the number of capacitors increases, capacitance will become progressivelly smaller and (I guess) esr should become progressively larger.
In parallel connection,capacitance will become progressivelly larger and esr should become progressively smaller.

This way, you will have a number (10) of points, each with an esr and capacity value. Draw a diagram and see the trend.
Report back.:)

George

Joined 2002
Paid Member

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.