Comments on BK Precision 2530B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

I'd like to have a modest oscilloscope at home for small DIY projects on audio and low-speed logic. I can't afford HP, Tektronics, etc. - unless it's used, but boy, it's hard to find one that hasn't been beaten up. So I'm considering the less expensive brands. What would you say about BK Precision's 2530B?

(Model 2530B - 25 MHz, 500 MSa/s Digital Storage Oscilloscope - B&K Precision)

That's one I can afford, new, with warranty. One thing that keeps bothering me a bit is that it looks very similar (too similar) to some Rigol models, and there's also a Brazilian model (I live in Brazil) that seems to be the same unit, just rebranded. Reminds me of some cheap mp3 players from China - all look the same, but different "brands", and none of them are really good. I always get suspicious about rebranding - am I being paranoid?

Any comments are welcome.

Best regards,

Most of the Chinese ones I have played with are copies of the current Tektronix models. They don't have quite the display quality or as good A/D converters. They do work reasonably well.

This one does not look like a Tek copy.

There is a bit of difference in using an analog scope versus a digital one and takes a bit of getting used to, otherwise you may not be looking at exactly what you think you are.

If you can get a trial that is best.

I have an Owon copy of a Tek that was really cheap. I bought it not expecting much, it is not quite as good as my Tek scope bust was only 10% of the price. It gets used all the time. Although it does require use of the Autocal function every so often.

There is a bit of difference in using an analog scope versus a digital one and takes a bit of getting used to, otherwise you may not be looking at exactly what you think you are.

Could you give me some examples? It's been quite a few years since I used these toys, I need some brush up.

Apart from that, would you say it's not a big concern to buy a chinese scope, then? How about the brand, BK Precision is an American company, right? Is that supposed to make a difference?

You see... Basically, I'm afraid of spending a lot of money on a lemon. But if I don't pick this 2530B, then I'll probably pick nothing else.

I also forgot to add that once in a while I get a broken vintage amp to fix - I currently have two here, and I can't even start, because all I have is a cheap (really cheap) digital multimeter. It's hard to do anything serious with that. The scope would be a great help.

Thanks,

A digital scope takes a sample and displays it. So for a quick glance what is shows may not actually be there. For best looking results it will do averages, but then you may miss a noise spike or just plain noise.

The B&K seems reasonable, should work just fine. But it is not a $4,000 unit. (But probably 80% of one)

Last edited:
A digital scope takes a sample and displays it. So for a quick glance what is shows may not actually be there. For best looking results it will do averages, but then you may miss a noise spike or just plain noise.

Understood. Makes perfect sense. For me it's not a deal breaker, but I'll surely keep that in mind.

The B&K seems reasonable, should work just fine. But it is not a $4,000 unit. (But probably 80% of one)

Great! That makes me feel more confident. Of course I don't expect it to perform like a $4,000 unit, but 80% is probably more than enough for my needs.

Now I just need to decide if I should wait for an opportunity to go to the US and bring one with me or pay 40% more here (after the 30% discount they are offering me... !) to have it right now, with local warranty.

Thank you very much! You've helped me a lot!

Vmat:

There are a lot of sources for Rigol. Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Worldwide Free Shipping - DealExtreme is one reliable source. I am not sure about importing, but I would check it out first.

paul

Yeah, I know them, we buy lots of stuff from them, but always small items. I doubt an oscilloscope will get through customs unnoticed. Then it will cost me an extra 60%, which is still cheaper than here, but it will also give me a pretty hard time to pick it up.

By the way, I've just found the Rigol DS-1052E in a Brazilian webstore for $2400 - approx. U$1500!

I don't think I mentioned this before - the offer I received on the BK 2350B is U$650.

Thanks again,

I got one of the closeout original B&K 2530 (not B) from Grainger for $180. I love it. Replaced (or supplemented) an old Tek scope I had.

What I would like to know is whether B&K has any way of updrading the firmware in their scopes. The manual is silent with respect to that.

Does the 2530B talk about firmware upgrades?

Thanks,

Rick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.