Honey, I smoked the Weller 8200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Almost 50 years of continuous service, my Weller 8200 is finally going to its eternal reward. This gun was used to assemble numerous Heathkits, Eico kits and repair the odd Hammarlund and Hallicraftes rig. #1 Son used it wiring stage lighting, and like the proverbial HP-41C calculator, it could be dropped from great height and continue working. Finally, yesterday, it started shooting flame from the control switch. Maybe I should just replace the control switch?

Attachments

• Weller.jpg
    Weller.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 220
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think someone is exaggerating just a little bit ;) though I can remember as a teenager thinking that one of those would be nice, so that is probably close to 30 years ago... They haven't really been around since the early 60's have they?

edit: yeah go on replace the control switch you know you want to ;)

Tony.

Last edited:
In the 50s, as a teenager, I oogled at that thing through storefront glass. Was as pretty (allmost) as the girl I wanted to date. I still have one (not the girl), including a spare switch! E

I still have my old weller iron, same one but 240V from the late 60's Useful for heavy duty soldering, cutting plastic sheet (special tip). What was nice was if the tip went, any bit of bent copper cable could be pressed into service as an emergency tip.

As the original poster said indestructible :) well worth the repair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.