Tektronix TDS714L or other Tek TDS series digital oscilloscope for stereo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to buy an oscilloscope. I don't have any experience with them.

What do you guys think of the Tektronix TDS714L digital scope or other Tek digital scope for stereo equipment application?
How do the analog scopes like Tek 2246 or 2465 compare to the Tek TDS714L for stereo equipment application?

I am looking to buy an oscilloscope. I don't have any experience with them.

What do you guys think of the Tektronix TDS714L digital scope or other Tek digital scope for stereo equipment application?
How do the analog scopes like Tek 2246 or 2465 compare to the Tek TDS714L for stereo equipment application?

I paid $125 for a dual channel 100Mhz analog Tek scope on eBay. It's overkill for audio but I'm into radio as well. There is some advantage to analog scopes.

I also have a good studio quality audio interface in my iMac and software that can do some analysis on the sound, like FFT and harmonic distortion.

:geezer:I've worked in electronics for 40+ years and have used most of the Tek scope models at one time or another. For audio signals I would look for one of the older digital models that work dual mode. That is they work as an analog scope most of the time but have digital storage mode. With a straight digital scope it is very easy to miss some of the fast rise time events that can occur faster that the sampling time of the sweep rate you are using.

Thats not to say I don't use digital scopes, I do. It's just that you need to look at the signal at several different sweep rates to make sure your not missing things. Some of the other features like FFT and wave form capture can be very usefull. If you want these other features then go for it. If you want a simple trouble shooting tool then go for the analog scope.

;):geezer:BZ

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The shots here were taken with my analogue scope,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip...g-audio-integrated-opamps-51.html#post2012422

My thoughts are as per BZed's above. Scope I use is shown in post #1026

It's a bit like comparing a digital camera and film. The digital one won't show the finest detail when you zoom in, the analogue lets you winkle out what's there limited only by the trace thickness and noise.

I have a 2246 - love it completely. I would sleep with it if the wife wouldn't get jealous. Paid only a few hundred for it from eBay, but it was NIB-NOS.

Also have a TDS-something at 100MHz and FFT. Very handy also. Paid a lot for that one.

Agreed that analog is suitable as the first purchase for audio, but the second purchase of a digital later on will not be a waste of money.

I am actually thinking of getting a 2465/A/B.
Do you think it is worth it to get a 2465B or the other versions would be just as good?

As I recall the main difference is that the A has 350 MHz bandwidth, the B 500 MHz. The straight 2465 (no A or B) has 300 MHz bandwidth. No big difference in real life -- especially not for audio.

This outlines a few more differences:
What are the differences between the Oscilloscope models 2465, 2465A, and 2465B? > Frequently Asked Questions : Tektronix

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.