Can anyone advise me on the cheapest simplest DIY speak test set up. PC based?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I, too, would be interested in this. Clearly the key must be a calibrated microphone whose imperfections can be nulled out in the measurements. Is there a cheap and cheerful solution to this or must one bite the bullet and pay for a basically professional piece of equipment?

I would love to play with speaker and room compensation etc.

You'll need a mic ,and a mic preamplifier . Then you'll need a program (such Arta or Speaker Workshop ) that enables the Pc soundcard to simultaneously
'compute' the input and the output .
I'm at the same stage of 'young apprentice' and just reading the settings that have to be done (calibrating the souncard voltage references) is a big step :mad:
I suggest to read Arta's manual and download the demo version.
Panasonics' electret capsule mic (WM 61 ?? ) are fairly inexpensive and are said to be good .
The key is to be conscious of all the steps that have to be made ...

Last edited:
Gday Picowallspeaker and Copertop I always thought a Mic that could measure flat would not come cheap. Picowallspeaker If you can remember which Mic precisely so I can goggle it . It would be helpfull. You think there would be a sticky on this site somewhere about this. I will check out arta. Thanks

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Fatbattery, it depends on what you want to achieve.... if you are going to use it for measruing drivers to aid in crossover design, then provided you aren't planning on doing extensive response shaping, then an uncalibrated mic should work just fine. The reason for this is that even if the absolute levels are not 100% accurate, the relative levels between the speakers you are building crossovers for will be accurate. It is these relative levels that are important for the actual crossover design (padding or response shaping aside).

Rod Elliot has a nice measurement mic project Recording and Measurement Microphones

Personally I use an uncalibrated panasonic WM-60AY mic capsule with an Eric Wallin preamp II Eric Wallin's Internet Homepage

PCB's available here Mad About Sound | Microphone Preamplifier PCB v1.1

here is a picture of the completed MIC preamp (with version 1.0 pcb) mounted in a cast box from Jaycar.
a6ebdd0637009cc6a7dadab836239091_100.jpg

My mic wand is a length of brass tubing from hobbyco the same diameter as the mic cartridge.

Picture attached below shows the mic wand mounted on a tripod in a very non-optimal room for measuring ;) Later measurements have been done with furuniture re-aranged, and recently I tried some measurements on the balcony (but these were inconclusive due to some problems with the new PC I was using).

edit: the simplist and cheapest option is to use some software like holm-impulse for doing the spl measurements (it is free). and a $10.00 computer mic connected the the mic input of your soundcard. Although it won't give you fantastic precision, you would be surprised how useful it actually is! It is certainly more useful than no measuring equipment at all, and will allow you to get a feel for what you can do with the software without the initial outlay for the mic preamp and microphone.

for impedance measurements speaker-workshop with Claudio Negro's cable jig would be the cheapest option... speaker workshop is also freeware, however it wouldn't be the simplist.. the woofer tester III seems to be the no brainer option for simplist in this regard :) .

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_5597.jpg
    DSC_5597.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
I am by no means an expert either, more like a beginner.

But I did notice Claudio Negro's tutorial for using Speaker Workshop (a free program) is very well-written, with lots of screenshots.
http://www.claudionegro.com/

You can use a resistor and some cables with your soundcard to do a fair number of measurements. For others, of course,
you will need a mic. and possibly mic. preamp.

Hogwild

Last edited:
i use speaker workshop, a little hard to get going, but well worth it in the end.
For mics, i use wm61. i got 3 of these and they all measured totally different above 2k. my advise is to get a bunch, and using a known tweeters response, pick the best one, or get someone to test it and give you a calibration file.
AN1534 (from st?) is a good guide to preamp design if you want to diy.
The wallin jig is over complicated, but once you have figured out that sw just send out mls and then recieves it back to calculate f/r, a much simple test jig can be built for fr and imp tests.
A stable 20w chip amp or any resonable hifi amp is also needed for testing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.