New free unrestricted PCB design software from RS Components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have seen several threads about schematic capture/PCB layout software.

Those of you who receive the Elektor newsletter will already be informed about this, but for those who don't, there is a new, free and unrestricted tool available from RS Components:-

DesignSpark PCB | DesignSpark

Elector's review seems to rate it on a par with Eagle, with the exception that it has none of the restrictions that Eagle does in its free version, and if it acquires a substantial user base, it can only improve.

w

I have had very positive experiences with Kicad once I got used to its quirks, and even turned down the opportunity to buy a commercial package through my employers.

For me, one of the best possible features would be an automatic link to a parts suppliers' catalogue. One should be able to press a button and generate a BOM complete with catalogue numbers and current prices. It does seem ridiculous that in this day and age the electronics engineer should have to devote time to literally typing in catalogue numbers, and designing symbols and footprints, with all its potential for errors.

I even wrote a program to extract RS catalogue numbers from HTML pages and generate Kicad symbols automatically for various ranges of resistors and capacitors. If RS could supply their catalogue in a simple text-based format it would help people to translate their parts into any PCB design package's format. (Maybe they do already..?)

If (over several years, obviously!) RS were to make their entire catalogue available as symbols and footprints (and 3D models) within a free PCB design package, dynamically linked to stock and pricing information, then they could take over the world.

Elector's review seems to rate it on a par with Eagle, with the exception that it has none of the restrictions that Eagle does in its free version, and if it acquires a substantial user base, it can only improve.

w

Its been out for quite a while on the RS website.

I believe its an old version of EasyPC but thats what I read in anotehr forum.
I gave it a try and couldnt work it but maybe thats just me lol
Found it hard to use.

It's certainly an older version of EasyPC - the gerber output files quote EasyPC as the generator.
I couldn't get on with Eagle but found DesignSpark quite easy.
I don't know what it lacks in error checking but I found it quite adequate. Once I'd setup suitable DRC/ERC parameters I was able to do a 120x140mm DS PTH board with about 550 holes, send the gerbers to China and get the boards back without a single error or query, and that was the first board layout I'd done from scratch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.