any recomendations for learning how to use oscilliscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hopefully it still works, but I am gonna get a teknotroniks 2213, or 2215 60mhz dual channel scope. The bad part is I have no experience.

The old guy down the street was an electrical engineer, but hasnt used it for a while, He is gonna re'read the manual. so he can make sure it still works before he sells it.

I plan on reading the manual several times, but is there any tutorials, or sites that start off with the basics of ocilliscope usage that I can go to learn some practical applications.

Pretty simple actually.

Make sure you get the probes. Should get at least one 10x probe.
There are some books that you can probably get from the library that cover basic scopes. Now that is a triggered sweep scope that might not be covered in a basic book. (Tektronics invented triggered sweep.)
It might need some service. I had one and finally sold it since it was too costly to maintain. It uses some pretty unique parts. And there are some of those scopes that even Tektronix no longer supports. Good luck.

I own a 2213A 'scope and have the manual for it. For a beginner, I certainly wouldn't recommend reading the Tektronix manual as it will just sound like a complete load of gobledeygook to someone who hasn't used an oscilloscope before. It will help you in the future though as it also contains the service manual too.

Learning how to use an oscilloscope isn't exactly rocket science and is very easy once you get the basic principles of how the thing works and what it actually does. The 2213 is a fairly standard (but nonetheless excellent) 'scope and is ideal to learn on as a starter. It doesn't have tons of advanced functions to baffle and confuse you and the front panel is neatly laid out and doesn't look like it has been machine-gunned with dials and switches.

All oscilloscopes work in a fairly similar way so almost all guides found on the internet will be fine for teaching you the basics of working it. Then, when you want to progress on to use the more advanced functions that are specific to a certain 'scope, you will have to delve into the manual as these general guides will not go into enough depth.

Also, don't be afraid to play around with an oscilloscope. Unless it is particularly old and unreliable, these things take plenty of messing round with to actually break them. If you don't get a trace on the screen, you shouldn't worry! You've probably just accidentally flicked a switch or twisted a dial that you didn't understand how to use. Just retrace your steps, and if need be, ask the person you got it off or ask for advice here.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A quick google search on "how to use oscilloscope" turns up the following:

using an oscilloscope
Looks like a very basic, practical tutorial.

Or straight from the horse's mouth:
Tektronix Oscilloscope Tutorial
Tektronix wants you to register before you can download the tutorial. There's no cost associated with this, they just want your information so they can send you spam ... eh... "special offers".

A while back somebody here recommended a book on the topic also. I forget who or which book. The physics section of your high school library may be of some help also.

thank you very much.

The guy is pretty old, and there was tons of pieces and parts in the downstairs room. I am thinking when he was using this stuff, it was well taken care of. It looks like he is getting forgetfull though, and he and his wife are gonna move closer to family. Thus the future yard sale.

I am just glad I talked my way into the first dibs. I will find out what all he has, and probably put some of it up here if anyone wants some of the equipment.

Once you've familiarised yourself about the terminology, you'll find operating an analogue scope consists of the following:

1. Connect probe
2. Look at window
3. Rotate knobs and flick switches until stable waveform appears
4. Check knobs to note scales, or adjust measurement cursors
5. Rejoice if waveform is the expected waveform

I never picked up a manual or got taught how to use an oscilloscope outside of being told how to set 10x on the probe and which knob was time and which knob was amplitude scale.

Most of the complexities begin when you're looking at specific features of waveforms or waveforms that are unsteady, then you need to know how to set the special trigger functions on the scope.

Oh and the scope ground is also usually mains ground, so you can't go around clipping the ground clip to just anything. Sparks and blue smoke may ensue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.