Preamp for ecm8000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the same situation. Having looked around for mic pres i've decided it's better to just get a new external soundcard with this feature instead. There are a few cheaper mic pres around but you end up with two boxes. I ask myself if i really want something as ugly as the Behringer XENYX 802 hanging around unused most of the time?

I'm considering these audio interfaces: M-Audio FireWire Solo, M-Audio ProFire 610, PreSonus FireStudio Mobile, Focusrite Saphire Pro 14. All with 48V phantom and s/pdif coax outs (which i need).

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have exactly the same question!!

I have an ECM8000 mic, I was going to build a preamp but there are 4 options I can choose from with alot less hair loss...

Blue Microphones Icicle (as mentioned above)
Blue Microphones Icicle XLR To USB Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Art Tube Mp Original
Art Tube Mp Original - Valve Mic Preamp With 48V: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Art Tube Mp Studio v3
Art Tube Mp Studio V3 - Valve Mic Preamp With Variable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Behringer MIC800
BEHRINGER MIC800 MIC.-PRE-AMPLIFIER: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I will be connecting it up to an Asus Xonar Essence STX to measure the Fr. Response
of a set of speakers that I will be running active once I get the HF units.

more details on thread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/84107-104mm-round-tweeter-replacement.html

What do you think will be the best option? (UK suppliers only BTW!)
Many thanks in advance!

Justin

BUMP,

appologies again, no reply in AGES and seems pointless to keep adding the same thread all the time.....

Upon further reading it seems that `Valve` preamps are a No Go for Measurement duties
as the valve `sound` is unsuitable!

I do need a USB device BUT I dont need all the extras with some of the devices out there..

Is the Blue Icicle preamp suitable for FR measurements?

I dont want to build or spend too much money on this,
I would rather spend it on new Tweeters and building my (DIY Audio.com) Active Filter 4 boards now I have finaly got a 50VA tran for the PSU
possibly a DIY ReCap for my PAIR of Naim NAP90.3 amps too!

Many thanks (if anyone replys ;) )

mickeymoose!!!

Many thanks, you are a Diamond! :D
My icicle has arrived, managed to get it with a 3meter XLR
cable for just under £50!

Im only after `Basic` measurements of a midbass driver so I know the lower limit of a set of tweeters to go with them!

Hopefully this should do the job nicely!

Congrats and thank you!
Let us know how the Icicle works out. I am particularily interested in the response below 100Hz. The Icicle is quite small and having phantom power for the mic requires some high-value & voltage caps on the input.
If it comes apart (that would be my first job with it), take some pictures and attach them.
Cheers, E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.