Testing with DMM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dmm @ high voltage

Many cheap DMM's have a 600V scale. For measuring B+ this would be handy. (One hand at a time please, use clip leads on the ground. No jewelry). Some Dmm's actually work at this range, some do not. In the Sears Craftsman brand, performance is kind of random. Some of their $30 meters work fine on 460 VAC, some lock up if you actually use them on this, and have to be turned off to reset the computer.

... depends on the DMM - while they all should give the correct rms value at 50/60Hz, I would not trust them too much at higher frequencies like kHz...
Marcus

My experience is most DMMs these days are pretty flat in the audio band and certainly usable for rough audio level measurements. The RS one has a dbu scale and I use it all the time for more precise level measurements.

I would wonder about the RMS accuracy for anything but simple repetitive waveforms with low crest factor, but I only measure sinewaves with it anyway.

Cheers,

Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.