Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Heath IG-18  IG-5218
Heath IG-18  IG-5218
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:00 AM   #51
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
Is it possible to get really low numbers when we are dealing with caps and switches? Would one not want to follow the oscillator with narrow bandpass? How about a more modern VCO/AGC?

Need to dust my old one off. I normally use my PC as it is lower distortion, but twitting knobs has its place too. I also have an old HP 409 because nothing beets a bid dial to zero in on a room resonance.
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:39 AM   #52
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member
Heath IG-18  IG-5218
HP339 uses switches.

For a lot of reasons the VCO/AGC should be addressed -- I am think that the THATCorp "Analog Engine" might be a neat one-chip solution.
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:28 AM   #53
richiem is offline richiem  United States
diyAudio Member
@tvrgeek --- The Tek SG505 uses switches, as does the KH 4402B, etc. At harmonic product levels below (or well below) -120dBu (not even talking noise), you might also ask if wire and solder affect things... and humidity and barometric pressure -- I am serious. Nothing is above a careful look; but some things just take a LOT of time, and time is precious, so a good whack from the intuition genie is worth a lot more than I used to think.

Williams' famous 10kHz oscillator has the huge advantage of being single-frequency. If you're willing to live with that constraint, many things get easier to control.

Anything following the oscillator stage has to be incredibly low in both distortion and noise; I've seen passive LC bandpass circuits that actually made thing much worse, and some that did actually improve the signal, but that was back in the day before I got interested in really low distortions below 1 part per million, so I can't generalize about using either active or passive bandpasses to improve distortion at really low levels.
Old 30th April 2012, 09:14 AM   #54
mafalda is offline mafalda  France
diyAudio Member
Default Where to buy a 90MB

To buy a lampe have a look here :

Osram / Sylvania, Inc. - 90MB - Optoelectronics & Lighting - Lamps - Allied Electronics

around $1,3/unit
Old 16th September 2013, 08:48 PM   #55
mrsavage is offline mrsavage  United States
diyAudio Member
Heath IG-18  IG-5218
Default Redesign the power supply and main PCB's on the IG-18 and IG-5218

Other PCB designs exist, but what about a new one that includes the latest
op-amps and voltage regulators. I would be interested in a group buy for these
new designs.
Old 16th September 2013, 10:30 PM   #56
richiem is offline richiem  United States
diyAudio Member
See what Steve Lafferty has done with putting the very fine HP339A oscillator into the IG-18/5218: Modifications: Heathkit IG-18 Audio Generator

For performance results, see my build here: http://www.moorepage.net/IG-18-3.html

I think you could easily lay out a PCB from his work, or just use perfboard and wire as he did.
Dick Moore

Heath IG-18  IG-5218Hide this!Advertise here!