small hole circle router jig, with pictures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
A few more details

:)

Attachments

• IMG_0144 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_0144 (WinCE).JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_0145 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_0145 (WinCE).JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_0147 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_0147 (WinCE).JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0149 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_0149 (WinCE).JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0150 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_0150 (WinCE).JPG
    14 KB · Views: 688
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• IMG_0134 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0134 (Medium).JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0132 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0132 (Medium).JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0131 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0131 (Medium).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0136 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0136 (Medium).JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0137 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0137 (Medium).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0139 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0139 (Medium).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0143 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0143 (Medium).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0140 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0140 (Medium).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 180
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ok, :)

Attachments

• IMG_0144 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0144 (Medium).JPG
    70 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0145 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0145 (Medium).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0147 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0147 (Medium).JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0151 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0151 (Medium).JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0150 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0150 (Medium).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0149 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0149 (Medium).JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 215
I have built a couple of hole gigs with a sliding bar with the pin brazed in it. Next time I think I'll add a threaded adjustment rod over the bar for more precise adjustment. I just make a baffle panel using a Jasper jig. My only complaint is it is in 1/16 increments and we really should have at least 1/32 inch. It sure is easy to set up and trust the numbers.

Using a collar and an oversized overlay template works very well, as well. Can get down to very small hole size.

That sounds like what I use for recessed cabinet handles and jack plates. No stopping to change grip, as the router handles remain positioned the same as I route around the template. Of course, that also works on non-circular shapes. Changing collar size or router bit size changes the offset and thus the size of what's being cut.

I make my templates, then I drive two slightly longer small-diameter brads thru the template with my air-nailer. That secures the template in position for the first cut. For subsequent cuts I just lay the template down and tap it in place with a hammer to set the thin brad pins again without noticeable damage (after filling and painting the teensie holes).

For larger shapes, I should have made my templates larger with broader flat areas for the router to sit on, which makes it easier to keep the router vertical without tipping.

Round TurnTables

Check out the swivel bases. Painters use these all the time; easy to use, screw use scrap wood, say 12" x 12" on both sides, bolt one side down to table or saw horses and spin the "table", not the router.

This is much safer also. AND you can use it for painting later on………

Can send a pic for clearer image.

McMaster-Carr

Last edited:
btw....How to measure?

How to measure?

Example: say you want a 6” hole, measure 3” from the outside of the bit to the center of the pivot (which could be a simple nail or screw).

It is important to measure dead center of the hole, even if that seems insignificant. Holes too big or too small are not much fun when building speakers.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
had to come up with a circle router, and fast
and I decided it had to be adjustable
turned out to be exstremely simple

I bet anyone can find the materials within 5 minutes
and besides, when changing router bits, adjustment changes

Attachments

• IMG_5822.JPG
    IMG_5822.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_5823.JPG
    IMG_5823.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_5827.JPG
    IMG_5827.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 196
the most simple indeed ;)

but still not adjustable

did I win your router ? :D

Not adjustable??? on the contrary infinitely adjustable. The pin can go anywhere on the board. It's an old picture, now I like to use the drill bit as the pin, as it's the perfect size. measure, drill hole in swivel plate, align hole with center dot,drill center, leave drill bit set into wood to be routed. I tend to use a starter hole for the router bit as I don't like plunge routers.

Sorry, no router for you. :D

Last edited:
That's a good set up, my Makita came with something like that (with the bars) so all I needed to do was drill a hole in a alum support (square block at the end).

Its a little easier and safer if you "swing" the baffle board, vs. swinging the router. You can get fancy and buy/find a flat ball bearing (round table) or simply put two work-boards together with a nail in the center.

Perfect circles are easy to cut, easier than square; Imo.

Don't cut too deep in one pass......Wear eye protection! Router Bits can snap, and/or worse They spin around 25,000Rpm, depending on the router.

had to come up with a circle router, and fast
and I decided it had to be adjustable
turned out to be exstremely simple

I bet anyone can find the materials within 5 minutes
and besides, when changing router bits, adjustment changes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.