Another realization of Bob Cordell's THD Analyzer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've completed the set of drawings. Made them with sPlan 7. If you want, I can provide the original file as well.

Attachments

• Bob Cordell's Distortion Analyzer - Meter circuit.pdf
    85 KB · Views: 203
  • Bob Cordell's Distortion Analyzer - Filter circuit.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Bob Cordell's Distortion Analyzer - Amplitude- & Frequency detectors.pdf
    216.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Bob Cordell's Distortion Analyzer - Product amplifier.pdf
    257 KB · Views: 184
  • Bob Cordell's Distortion Analyzer - Bandpass filter.pdf
    270 KB · Views: 200
  • Bob Cordell's Distortion Analyzer - Input circuit.pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Bob Cordell's Distortion Analyzer - Sine-wave generator.pdf
    330.4 KB · Views: 225
  • Bob Cordell's Distortion Analyzer - Block diagram.pdf
    97.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Bob Cordell's Distortion Analyzer - Indicator circuit.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 186
Pots cause a lot of distortion. You're better off using relays. Even the less expensive ones are better than pots. If you want a lot of resolution you can binary weight them and get 256 frequencies out of eight relays. Log weighting is bit more complicated.

Pot distortion is greatly reduced when there is no loading, dc or ac, on the wiper.

In regard to 8 relays giving 256 different resistances, are you referring to some kind of R2R arrangement, like used in some DACs?

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2011
In regard to 8 relays giving 256 different resistances, are you referring to some kind of R2R
arrangement, like used in some DACs?

For a minimal resistor count (8 resistors for 1 part in 255 resolution), they are switched in various
combinations with decoding logic, either all in series, or all in parallel.

For a series circuit, you need 8 resistors with relative Ohms values: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128

For the parallel circuit values with 8 resistors, calculate in relative Mhos values: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128

Both the series or parallel methods give you every step from 1 to 255 with the right combinations.

Last edited:
Pot distortion is greatly reduced when there is no loading, dc or ac, on the wiper.

In regard to 8 relays giving 256 different resistances, are you referring to some kind of R2R arrangement, like used in some DACs?

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes it's an R2R arrangement.

This link is for a log taper done with relays.

Logarithmic Attenuator Calculator

The author has a calculator for binary weighted in dB attenuator somewhere on his site.
Click the links and see if you can find it.

I worked out the math for this. I'll look for it later and post it.
The attenuator sections are in decibels and the sections are switched in a cascade fashion. The impedance is maintained with either a constant input or constant output resistance. The constant input resistance form is the one to use for tuning a state variable oscillator.

Hi Bob,

Yes it's an R2R arrangement.

This link is for a log taper done with relays.

Logarithmic Attenuator Calculator

The author has a calculator for binary weighted in dB attenuator somewhere on his site.
Click the links and see if you can find it.

I worked out the math for this. I'll look for it later and post it.
The attenuator sections are in decibels and the sections are switched in a cascade fashion. The impedance is maintained with either a constant input or constant output resistance. The constant input resistance form is the one to use for tuning a state variable oscillator.

Rayma and David, thank you!

Cheers,
Bob

Cheers,
Bob

Yes but that means having to buffer the wiper with a non inverting amplifier. A inverting amplifier eliminates the common mode distortion problem but loads the wiper. So how do we win with this? There is a reason why you didn't use pots for tuning in your oscillator.

If anyone is interested in the math for this attenuator. I can post a tutorial for it.
The same circuit can be set up for any taper or graduation. It will take some time to put it together so let me know.

David, thank you for the offer. I am interested in the tutorial.
I am not in any rush and like to learn. In for a penny, in for a pound.
Then we almost went metric and we have kilograms.

When it is for my little girl, she gets grahams as in crackers :)

Cheers,

Sync

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.