Curve Tracer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use an old Leader LTC-905 and, connected to my Tek 7603 scope, it works fine for most of the things I want it to do; there are several other good old units that show up from time to time as well, including some from Heathkit and B+K.

Yes the PC is very convenient, but the old analog stuff still works well. I paid $90 I think for the Leader....

Reactions: 1 user
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
I am also leaning towards an adapter that can be plugged into a scope or better yet with a USB/RS232 connection to the PC, so the data could be used for further processing/matching against datasheet, etc. But it is hard to beat twisting knobs and seeing the curves on the CRT display right in front you, that is just the UI we all grew up with and accustomed to...:)

Jaz

I use an old Leader LTC-905 and, connected to my Tek 7603 scope, it works fine for most of the things I want it to do; there are several other good old units that show up from time to time as well, including some from Heathkit and B+K.

Yes the PC is very convenient, but the old analog stuff still works well. I paid $90 I think for the Leader....

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Just because it doesn't have a USB port on the 576?

You can always take a snap of the 576 screen and use Graph Grabber to put the data into CSV/Excel format. Folks do this all the time to take data from a manufacturer's datasheet and put together a SPICE model.

If one already has a curve tracer, then sure, take snaps and convert the curves. My question was more along the line of whether a newbies like me should get one now when modern alternatives (such as the one that Michael Koster is working on) can be bought/made for roughly the same cost (may be even less if you are talking about the Tek's). But your point is well taken.:)

Jaz

Curve tracer

Hi Jaz,

A the moment I have only been talking about CT adaptors to go with an oscilloscope, either as an external box (like I built) or a plug-in to go with my Tek7000 scope.
Both options are relatively low power, suitable for "signal" devices.
I don't really have space for a full blown Tek CT and I use it fairly rarely for the odd Vbe match in an oscillator.
There is a design on the web for a CT that uses a sound card (therefore a PC) and displays the results on the monitor, I believe the software is available.

Cheers

Paul

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011

Not really an adapter, but locky_z has a PC CT. This one works well for low voltage/low power transistors/FETs. I should have been more specific in posting my question, since I work mostly with tubes, the CT needs to have HV capability. The Tektronix 576 is ideal for me, but the price is pretty high still, on eBay at the moment, I see $1000-$3000!, plus shipping, it could add another $100-$200 at least (for outside the US). Anyway, appreciate all the feedback.:)

Jaz

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
One of the main reasons for me to Not use a PC when testing is because I need the PC for other things. Often I need a scope, generator, ac/dc voltmeter, and sim to run at the same time.... Switching back and forth to use my PC for a specific piece of test equipment isnt practical for me. But, for a Curve Tracer, maybe I could use the PC version because that is often used before going to prototype stage.
One of the things I use my bench curve tracer for is to test two devices at the same time for comparison and for matching them. The unit I use can overlay, on the screen display, both devices simultaneously. A very useful feature. [model CA4810A -- China] Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012

Another is the TEK 7CT1N plug-in for any 7000 series TEK scope. Converts the scope into a curve tracer. Usually more than $90. -RNMarsh

PCs are almost free these days...

I bought a very nice refurb'd pc with Win7 Professional and Windows Office Pro for $200, or less than the cost of the software. It came from a guy who repairs them for schools and had the Microsoft boxes. I've taught it to talk to the HP3577a via the HP-IB.

Only problem with a PC near or on your workstation is the RFI from the monitor.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
One could have a PC set up to generate signals for a source. Another PC running scope software to monitor waveform; another to measure the THD with FFT etc etc. Dont have enought room/space on my work space for all those PC- instruments! OTOH, same issue with hardware instruments. But, they are shielded for RFI. Pick and choose. -Thx RNMarsh

RN, don't get carried away...
Keep it simple.
ONE will do a lot of work.

If you have a local "electronics recycler" around, P4 machines are virtually free... they have literally piles of them. There are some small format machines too...

But a fellow like you I would expect to have ample workspace!
I hope yours does not look like mine, all piled up with "goodies"!!

:D

_-_-bear

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
RN, don't get carried away...
Keep it simple.
ONE will do a lot of work.

If you have a local "electronics recycler" around, P4 machines are virtually free... they have literally piles of them. There are some small format machines too...

But a fellow like you I would expect to have ample workspace!
I hope yours does not look like mine, all piled up with "goodies"!!

:D

_-_-bear

I havent run out of work space, yet. Though I do have to Purge every so often :)
-RNMarsh

Why not DIY? Google it and find a design you like. I have built several types from lissajous (huntrons) to actual curve tracers like the teks. I also bought a sprague jud williams curve tracer that hooks up to a o-scope. It works great. Got mine off ebay for less than 50US. Good luck!

Tek OS-245

Hey Guys I have not used the XY feature on this ol OS-245 mainframe and cannot figure out how to use it ...the manual that i have is for the non military version but is the same unit..

can anyone help and explain how to use the XY on this unit..

Thank you

Lawrence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.