Curve Tracer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

I am looking so bad for a curve tracer.
I was really impressed from the device "made" by circuit-ed and I was going to buy it.
The only limitation that I didn't like was the current capability that was limited to some I think 100mA while for output power device people like me want to go as high as 1A or something like that.

Unfortunately Circuit-ed doesn't make that anymore.
Too bad.

I saw the project that is going on in the forum and the handsome curve tracer, but reading throughout the thread it seems to be still working in progress and nobody knows when it will be ready IF it will be made available.

Now my question is:

do you guys know where I can purchase a curve tracer that does a good job with a computer interface that will work on high current matching too?
Of course something that is not super expensive I would say no more than $150 or something like that.

thank you very much.

I do know ebay ;)

my question was, what is a good curve tracer? I was looking at Tektronix's curve tracer but they are expensive.
I don't have experience with plug ins and stuff.

In case I would like to put together a tek curve tracer, what do I need? Just the mainframe and the curve tracer's plug in? or I need a specific storage oscilloscope?

For example if I would buy an empty 7633 main frame and put inside the curve traces 's plug in, would that work? or would I need other plug ins?

i understand.
So Basically buying a 7000's style main frame and the 7CT1N plug in would make up a good curve tracer?
I like the mainframe idea, because you can always throw other options if needed, as for example I would love to have the spectrum analyzer 7L5 next and with the mainframe I can just stuff it in.

But now my concern is on the curve tracer and my questions are:

a main frame goes around for $100 and the curve tracer plug in for $150.
A total of $350.
Is there any better system around at that price point?
moreover by reading at the description for the curve tracer's plug in it looks like the maximum current is 240mA which would still have limited current capabilities.
Do you guys have any advice in this regard on what is a good curve tracer I could look into?

curve tracer

The article was in Elektor Electronics and it is an excellent design. The cost seemed high, at the time, but I saved the issue....somewhere. I will look for it or you might find it from the Elektor website. Some of the parts had to be purchased from Mr. Borbely I think.

I was expecting to get a used curve tracer from a friend about 1,800 miles away but when he had unexpected gall bladder surgery he had a heart attack then a stroke about a week later. Bottom line: no curve tracer. And, I just had a request for a repair on a Threshold S500 which has 32 mosfets in the output stage of each channel, I think(going from memory), but I can come up with other ways to check and/or match components.

All in all, what is a good buck curve tracer, without having to build anything (I do not need to add projects to my pile).
I mean there's gotta be something that does a good job as the Circuit-ed's curve tracer that unfortunately is not any longer in production.

I was thinking about the 7000 mainframe like 7633 and the 7CT1N plug in.

The only thing is that this plug in won't allow more than 250mA I think or 0.5W.
That won't be much of a hel for power devices that will likely going to have a bias higher than 250mA.

Tek tracers like the 576 go for $300 to $3k for a calibrated unit. Will probably cost as much to ship to EUR from the US. 570's are now scarce and a fellow is trying to unload one for $5,000. The CRT in the for the 576 is specialty for this purpose.

Every month or so I get asked for PCB's for the curve tracer which I wrote up for AX -- this project would now have to be done via USB.

is it a good curve tracer? I mean why would it only cost $100? is a tecktronix curve tracer's plug in a better fit for matching devices?

I had one of the heath units a long time ago -- easy to get manuals for them. There are similar tracers from Eico, Sencore and B&K of that vintage.

The 7CT1N is for low power devices, although you can pull up to 160mA. If you're going to pull any appreciable current -- say over a few hundred mA -- make sure to heat sink the DUT. You can find the manual here: http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tek/7ct1n/

The 576 makes matching bipolars easy since there's a switch right on the fixture box. If you get a 576 you might wind up having to make some of your own test fixtures with banana plugs and perf-board.

An IT-3121 has shown up on Ebay for about $50; mostly a cosmetic update of the IT-1121, I think. You'll need an oscilloscope of course, a dual trace would be best. Probably not as precise as the Tektronix units, but surely much more affordable.

I never did figure out how to get mine to work with MOSFETs. Anyone got suggestions? Haven't fired it up in years; time to blow the dust off and check out the calibration.

Hi,

I got one IT-1121 two days ago. I paid $115.
It looks like it works and it is cosmetically in good condition.

I have just one thing to ask to the users of this curve tracer:

why do I see loop on every trace and even when I try to compensate with the trimmer in the rear panel?
I mean...I can manage to reduce the loop by lowering voltage, change scale...but still I can't get a super clean trace like in the manual.
Is it normal? if not, how can I fix it?

Plus...I have tried t trace the curve for te 2SC2240 (NPN), respected pin-out, but nothing shows, so I thought t was broken and I opened it up checked it and everything looked fine, so finally I put a BD139 instead and...boom....tracer works...and then I tried with the 2SK170 and works too...so...I still kinda of trying to understand how it works.

If anybody here could share the experience it would be nice.

I do have a manual.
Explains how to mount it, test it and so on.

I read it almost all.
It doesn't explain how to fix this problem so I assume that it is normal as it does mention that this is thermal runaway and it can be done a little by the curve tracer itself.
That is why I am asking to the users of this curve tracer if they have the same thing and if they got around that and how in case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.