USB Scope - Real scope and not too expensive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
PC scopes tend to be very limited. Especially their front ends are limited with 200 mV/div as the highest sensitivity. Measuring higher voltages is easily accommodated with an attenuating probe 10x, 100x, 1000x are commonly available. But there is no substitute for a good analog front end. For $250 you could get a pretty nice used Tektronix scope. That would be my choice any day. But hey... Maybe I'm just old fashioned... :)

~Tom

I dunno know, like tomchr says - I bought a Tektronix 2225 (2 channel, 50MHz) on eBay for $100. Granted you don't get waveform capture, but its a real 'scope. Just make sure you get a return policy, but there's a ton of used stuff out there for a lot less $.
Bill

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Unless you absolutely need the raw data, a digital camera works fine for waveform capture on a real oscilloscope. It's been done that way for decades -- starting with Polaroid film back in the day... Love the old Tek scopes. My 2215 (2-ch, 60 MHz) and 2465B (4-ch, 500 MHz) are still ticking.

~Tom

what about the RIGOL DS1052E digital scopes? They are just a tad bit more expensive at $400 from hong kong and they seem to have rich functionality. I used old tek analog scopes when i went to school 20 years ago, but i don't know how keen i'm at buying one of those old bricks on ebay. The new scopes smaller footprint is very attractive to me, and i kind of like to have a new scope with warranty over something 15-20 year old which i don't know if i could fix myself if needed.

I use everyday a Tektronix TDS3014 DPO scope at my job, and it is an amazing tool.
For my personal use, i can't buy a 5k$ scope, so i have bought RIGOL scope 2 years ago, a DS1022CD.It is a 2 analog channels 25MHz 400Ms/s, with 16 channels logic analyzer. I had payed it about 500$.
It is a very good value for money !
I highly recommend their products.
(After that, i have also bought the generator and multimeter from Rigol, also
very good products !).

Algar_emi, i really think that "PropScope" is too expensive for what is that.
If you look also for a standalone scope, and if the price is an issue, maybe this product can interest you :
Owon scope

Frex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.