HP 339a Meter scaling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I give in!:rolleyes: After reading the manual, and googling for info, i'm ashamed to say that i'm baffled. I'm lost on scaling the meter reading. I am not from the analog meter era, and the manual is unclear on this.

It mentions that the Dist level reading for THD% is relative to the Dist level control position, but doesn't mention the input range control. I have observed that when that control is changed (as in to compensate for a OSC Level change), the meter indication changes. That indicates to me that it has to be added into the mix for scaling the reading? Do I multiply by both numbers? Which scale do I multiply by?

Also the manual say to use either 2nd or third scale. There are no separate multipliers on the input controls for each scale? The scales are numbered differently so the final Distortion figure would be different too? I seem to be missing some basic knowledge here that the manual assumes I know?

Can anyone walk me through this part?

Last edited:
Well I got mad, and decided to sit in front of the unit, and stare at the knobs until I "Got It". Took about 5 minutes.

1. Use the number on the Range control as the full scale number. 0 to that number.

2 It that number begins or ends in the number 1, use the second scale. If the number begins, or ends in a 3, use the 3rd scale.

3 Multiply that meter reading by the number on the Dist control.

Thats it! The manual really sucks. The whole description of that process was described in the manual as this;

"The meter reading is relative to the Distortion setting"

Thats it, thats all it said!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.