USB Curve Tracer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking to buy a curve tracer for a while, but up to now they've all been very expensive.
However Circuit-Ed produced a USB version which looked like it would fit the bill:
Circuit-Ed - Electronic Development Products
When I tried to buy one it said they were no longer available. I emailed them for info but - no reply.
One of the guy's here said that Circuit-Ed were working on a new version (?)

I've noticed that Elektor have produced a kit for a USB Curve Tracer:
Transistor Curve Tracer - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement
Again, this looks like it might be just the thing.
Anybody here checked this out ?

Thanks for that Mike. That's why this forum is great!
You wouldn't find that kind of info so easily anywhere else.

I'm glad I didn't buy the Elektor thing. If there's one thing I don't need it's test equipment that needs testing!

But I'll keep looking - I really would like a decent curve tracer.
Maybe Circuit-Ed will eventually prodjuce an updated version.

Thanks again.

Stefano.
Maybe you could ask them about the CT-200 which Circuit-Ed said they were working on.
It's supposed to be an improved version of the CT-100 which, as you said, they don't make anymore.
It would be nice to know if they are going to go ahead with it.
I would really like one!

no they are not going to.
They said they don't have any curve tracer on stock or prodcution and maybe by the end of the year who knows.
I was looking into curve traer last year too and I spoke with the technician who said the same thing....i.e. by feb, march of last year they would have had one ready.
Now more than a year later, they say end of the year.
I don't think they are going to release anything in my lifetime ahahhahaahah...so I am looking nto another solution.
Is there any suggestion in this regard?

Very frustrating!
I wish they would make a decision one way or the other.

I did look into buying the Elektor kit version but was told by a few people here that it didn't work properly and the last thing I need is test equipment that doesn't work reliably!

I guess we'll just have to keep looking.

If I were going to do this I'd try to take the fastest route, even if it cost a few bucks more. First, I'd buy a Measurement Computing USB-1208FS for about $189. That gets me analog input, analog output and a bunch of control lines. I'd build a PCB for the DUT so I could power it and read the voltage and current. I'd also have a choice of driving the base/gate with both current and voltage sources. Finally, I'd write a nice Windows control program in PowerBASIC to talk to the Measurement Computing unit. Right now my ancient Tek unit (yes, tubes) takes care of things, so I don't need a DIY project, but FWIW I've done all the separate pieces described above for various different projects and it seems a sensible path.

Conrad

Very frustrating!
I wish they would make a decision one way or the other.

I did look into buying the Elektor kit version but was told by a few people here that it didn't work properly and the last thing I need is test equipment that doesn't work reliably!

I guess we'll just have to keep looking.
That is frustrating-I have more or less given up on Circuit-Ed ever distributing the product again. It does seem a shame to let the product die. There is not much sense in creating useful intellectual property and then not either exploiting or sharing it. Maybe they could be persuaded to publish it as a diy article in an appropriate magazine (AudioXpress for example). Better yet, publish it as an open project making the software available under the right open source license which would allow the software and hardware skilled members of this forum (not me!) to improve and enhance the curve tracer.

I can dream, can't I?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.