PC Interface

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Following the nifty interface project, and the frustrations of my setup, I have concluded the E-MU 1616 to probably be the best match. It seems to have current top of the line A2D and D2A's with very decent mic preamp specs. With a set of 1X and a set of 10X probes then SoundEasy should be completely happy from line level to 200W. No need for input decade switching or overload clamps. I monitor with my meter anyway. Overkill for my speaker work, but meets the times-ten quality requirement for looking at tube amps. Bummer is I need to buy a new OS, as it requires 64 bit, and I run 32 bit XP pro. Sigh, Win 7 I guess. Does this sound reasonable? Price is a lot, but if it works, cheaper than fooling around with more half-way solutions.

Much thanks. Yes, cost is a concern, but not as much as doing it correctly this time. As I do both electronic measurements and speakers, the .000-something levels of distrortion that the big boys can do is important to me. $500 for a converter is not so bad unles it does not do what I need, espically if I wind up buying a new PC and OS. Suddenly that starts looking like money! I will check out esi again. Can't remember why I passed over it the first time. Maybe it was not remote, as my PC in in my desk and my test bench behind me. Started looking at the M-Audio 610, but the e-mu is 10 times less residuals for the same money.

Confirming the good news from ghg:

All E-MU audio interfaces products are both 32-bit and 64-bit OS compatible and are full-time 24-bit audio devices when using the most recent drivers from our website.
E-MU products are meant for music and audio creation, we have very limited support for using our products in all non professional audio software such as testing/analysis software.

Beyond the better converters that the 1616M has, it also has additional I/O capability and very flexible signal routing capability.

So no new computer, and no new OS. Now, 1616 or 0404. Need to sleep on that.

Just a teaser

E-MU 1616m - balanced loopback

Attachments

• EMU1616m_Gen-24dB_IO+4dB_sym.png
    EMU1616m_Gen-24dB_IO+4dB_sym.png
    44 KB · Views: 150
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.