a good tube tester?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
looking to buy a tube tester, for general propose of testing tubes for resale, a wide variety is a must.

budget 50-80$ just looking for some recommendations?

For that price you can't be too picky :)

There's an Eico on Ebay for that much now, but with shipping you're likely going to pay more than that.

Ya know, Ebay has been both a blessing and a curse to this hobby.

Maybe it is just me, but I can't stop laughing.

Be nice :Pirate:

propose of testing tubes for resale

There are many times I skip buying small signal tubes from someone because the tube tester they use does little more than checking to see if the tube is dead.

For output tubes, if the tester doesn't come close to loading the tube, the reading doesn't mean much.

Best from Tucson
Bob

I recommend you do a LOT of research on tube testers, how they work, what they can do, what they can't do, etc before you buy one.

Emission testers just test to see if the filaments heat up and cause emission from cathode to anode. They test to see if the tube will act as a diode and give some arbitrary measure of how well they conduct.

Mutual Conductance (gM) testers are better, but depending on model and make can vary from junk to good (if you understand what it is actually testing).

Matching of tubes with most tube testers is bogus at best and an outright lie at worst.

Save your money for now and do a bunch of studying if you expect to spend your money wisely.

The Gimp is right-on correct. Heed his words if at all possible. Anyone who is willing to buy tested used tubes will want them tested on a quality name brand and model tube tester. This means a mutual conductance tester like Hickoks and their Military counterparts, B&K Precision and several others. Eighty dollars will only buy you an emission tester unless you are very, very lucky or can find a non-working Hickok and fix it up youirself. And even they go for a lot of money.

well thanks much for the advice, 8 years back i was one of those on ebay selling tubes checked and matched with a "emission tester" i did well, and this time i shall do better, researching a mutual conductance tester is now a must, thanks all for the advice, this form rocks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.